Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lackey to miss at least a month

Lackey to miss at least a month

Angels ace John Lackey is expected to be sidelined at least a month after he was diagnosed with a strained right triceps after an examination on Friday by Lewis Yocum, the team's orthopedist.

A magnetic resonance imaging confirmed the clinical diagnosis.

Lackey, who hasn't missed a start because of injury since breaking into the rotation in 2002, will be shut down without baseball activities for three to four weeks, at which time he'll be reevaluated. His earliest return, giving him several weeks or rehab, would most likely be in late April or early May.

The Angels, as a result, will open their American League West title defense without their twin aces.

Kelvim Escobar, recovering from shoulder inflammation, is making strides toward regaining enough strength to begin throwing and is expected to start the process sometime this week, manager Mike Scioscia said.

Lackey and Kelvim Escobar combined for 37 wins last year -- 19 by Lackey, a first-time American League All-Star and ERA champion in 2007.

"I'm going to do everything I can to get back as soon as I can," said Lackey, the club's Opening Day starter in 2007. "I'll be a little bit cautious. They'll be pulling me back a little slower than I want to go.

"They've been here before. I haven't."

General manager Tony Reagins said the club was "concerned" but also "somewhat optimistic in that [Lackey's absence] won't be too long."

Lackey, 29, said Yocum informed him that a triceps strain is similar to a hamstring strain. This ailment, behind the elbow, is in a different location than the forearm discomfort that had caused Lackey to get a late start in his spring workouts.

"You've got to let it heal on its own and be patient," Lackey said. "If I go out too early, I can end up setting myself back.

"It's no fun. It's definitely not where I wanted to be. I'll have to work hard, get the rest of my body stronger. It might be a little blessing if I'm a little stronger at the end of the season."
    The Official Site of The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim: News: Lackey to miss at least a month

That's terrible for the Angels!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Lackey to miss at least a month

According to the Los Angeles Times, John Lackey will be sidelined until at least mid-May after being diagnosed with a strained right triceps.

Lackey has never missed a start during his six-year career, but won't be cleared to begin throwing again until at least mid-April and figures to miss at least 7-8 outings. Dustin Moseley is considered the leading candidate to replace Lackey in the rotation, with top prospect Nick Adenhart another option. "I'm going to do everything I can to get back as soon as I can, but I've got to be a little cautious, and they're probably going to be pulling me back, going a little slower than I want to go," Lackey said.
    Losing Lackey is going to hurt but they still have Weaver and Garland to help take the load until Escobar and Lackey return. I am sure the Angels will pick someone up to help out in the rotation as Green and Adenhart are not ready. Now I have to go change my preseason pick for Cy Young.

MLB ERA

The Angels do just fine. They will still be Champs.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

John Lackey (triceps) threw 47 pitches off the mound prior to Sunday's game.
    Lackey mixed in breaking balls for the first time today. "It was another positive step," pitching coach Mike Butcher said. "We don’t want to get too far ahead of ourselves but right now he looks good."
    Just an update on the ace of this staff. Good to hear he is already throwing breaking balls.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Better to have him fresh for the second half anyways. They is like making a trade without giving up anything at the deadline.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Lackey threw 88 pitches in a rehab outing.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Who needs Lackey when you have starters Santana and Saunders for a combined 12-0?

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I guess that makes the Angels an even scarier team then.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    I guess that makes the Angels an even scarier team then.
    Ugh that's just what I want. If (and when???) Lackey comes back, then the A's will have to do a lot more to keep up with them.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Billy Beane always seems to find a way. Hang in there.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    Billy Beane always seems to find a way. Hang in there.
    I sure hope so!

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

He is a master at it. I wouldn't worry if I was you.

Closed
    AAA ERA

Lackey, Santana, and Saunders. Possibly the best three in baseball.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bon Bon View Post
    Lackey, Santana, and Saunders. Possibly the best three in baseball.
    That's what I was afraid of. But yes, they make for one heckuva rotation.

Closed
    AAA ERA

The one thing with the A's though is they alwys seem to find the right fit for there team and it works. I wouldn't be too afraid Brett the A's will work it out and they are playing some great ball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast