Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Francisco Rodriguez says this is probably his last year with Angels

MLB ERA

Francisco Rodriguez says this is probably his last year with Angels

Francisco Rodriguez reported Sunday for what he says will likely be his last season with the Angels.

“Yeah, probably. Probably,” the two-time All-Star closer said. “If they wanted me here, they would have done something a long time ago. But, in the meantime, I have to put that out of my head. I can’t be thinking they don’t want me here or anything like that. Just do my job.”

That the Angels don’t want him beyond this season is “not what I’m saying,” Rodriguez said, “it’s just something I can’t control.”

Rodriguez could gain that control next fall as a free agent.

“Guys, I don’t want to talk about that,” he said when asked if he was eager to test his value on the free-agent market next winter. “Maybe in the middle of the year, we can talk about that.”
    Sports: Rodriguez says this is probably his last year with Angels | rodriguez, year, want, don, angels - OCRegister.com

Where do you guys think he'll go?
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA

Re: Francisco Rodriguez says this is probably his last year with Angels

He'll go to some team willing pay a bunch of money so probably the Yankees.

He's good but he gave up some saves last year and defintely showed that he's human.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I would have said the Yankees but they were so dumb they gave Rivera a three year deal. I expect a lot of teams would want KRod. He is a top five closer and tons of teams could use his services. I could see the Tigers going after him.

MLB ERA

Maybe the Giants should go after him next offseason, after all we do need a closer.

MLB ERA

The Angels should try to keep him onboard.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83 View Post
    Maybe the Giants should go after him next offseason, after all we do need a closer.
    I say we see what Wilson gives us in year one. We are in a rebuilding mode and would hate to spend all that money on one closer when we have hardly an offense.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I would have said the Yankees but they were so dumb they gave Rivera a three year deal.
    when has that ever stopped them from giving another contract out before? especially if they wanna use joba as a starter.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You honestly think KRod will go to the Yankees to play second fiddle for Mo?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

valid point. i suppose i just felt you meant the yankees wouldnt offer, didnt realize you meant that he wouldnt accept. i think its within reason, if the yankees offered the most money, that he could accept to be the 8th inning guy for mo's final 2 years... but in reality, i just think anaheim will offer a good enough contract and he'll resign with them.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

KRod is a top five closer and is better than Rivera at this point in their careers. I don't see any player taking a step back to make more money. Pride and ego have to kick in especially when you know you are better than the other person. Same reason Rivera won't be an 8th inning guy. What I meant by my original comment is that the Yankees would have gone after him if they didn't sign Rivera to what I view as a retarded contract.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

yea but its not like krod is miles better than rivera. rivera is slightly the lesser at this point in time, but rivera is also the greatest closer ever (or top 3 if you personally dont wanna go as far as #1, with eck and gossage). arod was the best hitter in baseball, and a better fielder than jeter, and he also might have the biggest ego in baseball, and he took the step back to move to 3rd and not send jeter on the move... so what makes krod beyond reproach in this type of scenario? as long as the money is there, i dont see a problem with krod moving back... and i understand your feelings on riveras contract. in this case however, the yankees overpaid a guy at the end of his career that they underpaid throughout his career (at least, in comparison to the rest of the contracts that were on the team... not in comparison to the rest of the closers of the league). posada's contract is far worse than riveras.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

They are both pretty contracts. The huge difference between Arod and Krod is that Krod has his ring, Arod doesn't. Krod doesn't have to switch positions in search for that ring. Arod was about the money and the best place he felt he could win a title. Arod then re-signed with the Yankees because they were the only team willing to pay him. Plus its hard to tell your team captain who helped win four titles to move to third. It's much easier to tell the new guy to move. I hate this whole argument the Yankee fans on this board have that the Yankees had to sign Rivera because he is the best all-time. He might be the best all-time but not the best right now and he wouldn't even be in my top five. As a fan of a team that kept paying the best hitter of the era, it is stupid to keep paying top dollar for mediocre results. Yankees would be smart to now make Joba the closer in waiting and not spend top dollar on both Krod and Rivera.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

yea but... rivera didnt supply mediocre results (unless you think a 3.15 era in 71 innings is mediocre results... all the power in the world to you if you do) and hes in great shape, so even if he takes another step back, he'll still be a top 15 closer in the league. this is not like paying barry bonds who was a complete detriment to his team on the field, probably in the clubhouse, and couldnt run the bases.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yes, I consider a 3.15 ERA for a closer with declining strikeout rates on the verge of mediocrity. Look at the rest of the league's closers. He's in great shape? He's 38 with an obvious tired arm. Bonds wasn't a detriment on the field but will give you in the clubhouse. This is exactly like signing Bonds. Both were great but declining, no longer the best at their position and overpaid.

Point is the Yankees don't need Krod and Krod sure as hell doesn't need the Yankees. Well maybe just to drive up the price

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

so rivera with a 3.15 era is mediocre, but krod with a 2.80 era and a higher whip is a top 5 closer in the league? if you say so bud.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast