Thread: Mailbag: Kotchman elite at first base?

MLB ERA

Mailbag: Kotchman elite at first base?

Angels.mlb.com

In your mailbag from Jan. 21, you say Casey Kotchman is not that far away from Justin Morneau as a total player. Are you serious? Morneau is a superstar; Kotchman is mediocre at best. In my eyes, you lose all credibility with such a ridiculous statement.
    -- Evan B., Los Angeles

Yours is a popular view, Evan. A number of readers feel I've lost my perspective here. Please allow me to explain my position.

Kotchman was among the American League's top 10 hitters in average (.333), slugging percentage (.556), on-base percentage (.411) and on-base plus slugging (.967) when he suffered a wound needing stitches and a concussion on a June 16 pickoff throw by Dodgers catcher Russell Martin at Dodger Stadium. It could have happened to any baserunner diving into a bag, but it happened to Kotchman -- at a time when he was simply taking off as a ballplayer.

The rest of the season was a struggle for Kotchman to regain his timing and stroke. A hand injury in August, courtesy of a Mariano Rivera cutter, interrupted his season again. Nonetheless, Kotchman's season numbers (.296 BA, .372 OBP, .467 SLG) were comparable to those of Morneau: .271 BA, .343 OBP, .492 SLG.

Kotchman, 24, was the second-best defensive first baseman in the Majors, behind only Albert Pujols, according to Jon Dewan, author of "The Fielding Bible." In fact, Kotchman's plus-24 rating was surpassed among all AL defensive players by only one man: Toronto shortstop John McDonald (plus-26).

Morneau, 26, is an above-average defender, according to Dewan's statistical findings. Yes, Morneau is a superior run producer. But Kotchman is solid offensively and saves runs (and games) with his glove.

Too many fans raised in this homer-happy era can't see past power numbers. As a longtime believer in defense and its impact on the game, I have high regard for Kotchman, who calls to mind one of my all-time favorites, Keith Hernandez. I never saw a first baseman influence a game more than Hernandez. Kotchman has that kind of defensive potential.
    I like Kotchman and I think he can become a good player but needs to improve.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Re: Mailbag: Kotchman elite at first base?

For sure, Kotchman will definitely end up being a very good player.