Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Angels Thoughts and Rumblings

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...ck=1&cset=true

TEMPE, Ariz. — The chances of Garret Anderson opening the season in left field seem remote, and the odds of him starting at designated hitter are dwindling.

The Angels were hoping Anderson, sidelined since March 7 because of strained tissue in his left foot, would play Thursday, but after he ran Wednesday, the Angels pushed his return back to this weekend.

"He's made a lot of progress, but unfortunately not enough to go out and bust out of the box like we'd like him to," Manager Mike Scioscia said. "He doesn't need a lot of playing time to get ready, but if this continues to linger into next week, we're obviously going to have to look at some things."

Anderson has only six at-bats this spring, and Scioscia believes he needs at least 25 "to start tracking pitches and to do what he needs to do." The season opener is 10 days away.

If Anderson isn't ready, the Angels could place him on the disabled list and have him remain in Arizona for extended spring-training games, or send him on a minor league rehabilitation assignment.

If Anderson opens on the DL, Tim Salmon's chances of making the team and having a significant role increase dramatically. But if Anderson opens at DH, there would not appear to be much of a role for Salmon, who is attempting to come back from shoulder and knee surgery.
    Interesting...which would you rather have? Anderson DH and Salmon gone or Anderson DL and Salmon playing?

MLB ERA
    Kendry Morales.

MLB ERA
    touche

MLB ERA
    Angels are looking for some depth off the bench:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...ck=1&cset=true

Among the possible targets in the Angels' search for a left-handed hitting bench player are Baltimore utility player David Newhan, who is batting .429 in 16 games this spring, Minnesota outfielder Ruben Sierra, a veteran switch-hitter with power who is batting .389 in nine games, and Florida veteran infielder Lenny Harris, who is hitting .200 in 15 games.

Newhan can play all three outfield spots, second base and third. The Orioles appear to be a good trade match because they need relief help, and the Angels are willing to deal right-hander Esteban Yan or Kevin Gregg.
    I'd rather have Newhan than the other 2 chumps...

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Angels

Interesting...which would you rather have? Anderson DH and Salmon gone or Anderson DL and Salmon playing?
    Why do I have to choose? Anything that says Salmon is a big huge
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    that article made it sound like that was what was going to happen...Anderson would only DH and Salmon gets cut or Anderson goes to the DL allowing Salmon to make the team. If you don't want Salmon, then your choice would be the 1st one

I remember when Tim Salmon was actually a big time player. He had his own subset of baseball cards and everything. Those are usually reserved for guys like Nomo in his first year. I think it was in one of my more sentimental favorite sets. So many of those packs.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    so much for that idea:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...ck=1&cset=true

Garret Anderson returned to left field Sunday, hitting a run-scoring single in three at-bats in the Angels' 15-4 exhibition victory over Seattle.

Anderson, who played four innings, also lined out to right and raced to the wall for Richie Sexson's drive in the fourth, all positive developments for the Angels, who prefer Anderson play the outfield, and especially for Tim Salmon, whose chances of making the team could hinge on Anderson's ability to play outfield.

"If I can run the bases I can play defense, and I'd rather play defense than DH," said Anderson, who hit .199 as a DH and .314 as a left fielder in 2005. "It's not 100%, but I feel there's no risk for injury."
    not good news for Salmon I guess.

MLB ERA
    K-rod has added a changeup to his repertoire

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=ana

MLB ERA
    He'll blow his elbow out this year.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    He'll blow his elbow out this year.
    and leave Scot Shields and Brendan Donnelly to close games.

MLB ERA
    he may blow his arm, but it shouldn't be from adding a change up...assuming he's doing it correctly because all you're doing is adding an extra finger or putting the ball in more contact with your hand (palm ball) to slow the speed down. You're supposed to use the same arm motion as the fastball.

MLB ERA
    Actually, his arm is going to hell with or without the changeup. His mechanics are so bad that throwing the fastball is actually much more stressful than throwing his slider, which is why he threw mostly sliders at the end of last season. As great as he is, he's painful to watch.

MLB ERA
    right, that was what I was trying to get at...that if he's going to have problems it won't be from adding a change up.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...ck=1&cset=true

EMPE, Ariz. — Darin Erstad is not in jeopardy of losing his center-field job. The Angel veteran has won two Gold Glove awards as an outfielder, and as Manager Mike Scioscia said, any lineup changes will be made "with a priority on defensive continuity."

But if Tim Salmon continues to rake as he has this spring — the 37-year-old hit a prodigious home run in the Angels' 7-6 exhibition loss to San Diego on Tuesday — and if Juan Rivera shows he is capable in center field, Erstad may find himself on the bench more than he's used to, especially against left-handers.
    So it appears Erstad may play less and that could keep him healthier longer...

MLB ERA
    I was hoping to run him into walls until we could get a kid out there. It's the last year of his albatross contract anyway.

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast