Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Angels Thoughts and Rumblings

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    a nice little article on Kendry Morales:

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=ana

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Once considered a "can't-miss" Major League prospect, Kendry Morales is quickly moving into the "can't-ignore" class.

The 22-year-old is showing the offensive skills this spring for the Angels that vaulted him into legendary status as a mere teenager in his native Cuba. Morales is also demonstrating that his future may not solely rest on his ability to swing a bat as he works to improve his defensive fundamentals around the bag at first base.

Morales, though, is just pleased with the opportunity.

"I feel that I am ready," Morales said through an interpreter. "But [Spring Training] is a good experience."

Morales is hitting .406 this spring and leads the Angels in doubles, extra-base hits and total bases. None of which comes as a surprise, exactly, but the pace at which he grows comfortable with the next level of pitching has been impressive.
    It's good for Angels fans that the team didn't want to mortgage the future for Manny or someone. I read somewhere that Red Sox wanted Santana and 3 high level prospects from the Angels for Manny.

MLB ERA
    It's nice that the Red Sox made Ramirez so easy to reject, then.

Hopefully, Morales earns a spot where he gets some regular playing time. The Angels don't have a good offense, but the young guys can change that.

MLB ERA
    I don't think anyone is worth 4 top level prospects...I would certainly take 4 top level prospects, but I wouldn't give them up for 1 guy.

MLB ERA
    I think the article I had posted that specified which 3 prospects in addition to Santana got lost in the restore...i.e. I posted it after 12/22/05...argh, I can't find it, but it was so ridiculous that I can't even believe that it was serious...I think it was Santana, McPherson, and then a high pitching spec and another high spec.

MLB ERA
    They probably wanted Brandon Wood, Casey Kotchman, and Arte Moreno's left testicle.

MLB ERA
    actually, here it is:

http://www.overthemonster.com/story/.../3/161358/0328

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Sox offered Manny Ramirez to the Angels for Ervin Santana, Chone Figgins, and two or three of the Angels' top prospects, names like Brandon Wood and Howie Kendrick. Also, the Sox would want the Angels to take on the majority of Manny's contract.
    The link to the LA Times article says the article doesn't exist anymore, but that would be a raping to say the least

MLB ERA
    http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=ana

Inside track: Esteban Yan had a disappointing season a year ago when a setup role was reduced to middle relief as he struggled. But the right-hander, who is owed $1.25 million in 2006, has been steady this spring.

"He's throwing the ball as well as we've seen him," manager Mike Scioscia said.

Yan is competing with right-handers Kevin Gregg and Jason Bulger for the last spot in the bullpen. The Angels have an option remaining on Gregg and now have Hector Carrasco to handle the spot-start and long-relief roles, while Yan has more experience than Bulger.
    Who do you think will make it, Yan, Gregg, or Bulger?

MLB ERA
    Yan, because of the money.

MLB ERA
    http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3619451

TEMPE, Ariz. - Once the Angels get a chance to put a finger on anything that might be ailing Bartolo Colon, they will get him lined up to start Opening Day.

Colon is due to get back into camp Tuesday after pitching for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic. He pitched Saturday, when he went six scoreless innings against Cuba in an eventual Dominican defeat, and reportedly developed a blister.

"That's what we heard," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "We haven't gotten any word from the Dominican club. (Pitching coach Bud Black) is going to try and touch base and see what happened.

"He's not scheduled to pitch until most likely Friday back with us. We should be able to evaluate him and see where he is when he gets back into camp."

A start Friday against the Kansas City Royals would put Colon on schedule to start the opener April 3 at Seattle.
    Shrek looks to be on track to start opening day.

MLB ERA
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw...ck=1&cset=true

TEMPE, Ariz. — Bengie Molina doesn't work here anymore. Neither does Jarrod Washburn or Troy Glaus or Troy Percival.

And, as he looks around the Angel clubhouse at the latest crop of newer and younger faces, Darin Erstad realizes he probably won't work here next season.

"I'm not blind to that," Erstad said Monday.
    What do you guys think about Erstad being gone next year?

MLB ERA
    Garret Anderson is very concerned about his foot injury...are you?

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3626184

SURPRISE, Ariz. - Although the Angels are looking at Garret Anderson to make a return from a foot injury on Thursday, Anderson gives a different vibe.

The left fielder, who is dealing with a bout of plantar fasciitis in his left foot, said that he might be out of action until Opening Day. The strainedconnective tissue that runs from the heel and along the bottom of the foot continues to give him trouble.

"I don't know; I said last week, (I can return) whenever you get yourfeeling," Anderson said. "It can take all spring or it can take two weeks.It's all about feeling."

Anderson hasn't played in a Cactus League game since March 7 and another two weeks out of action would mean that he has missed a month of key preparation time.

While Anderson is considered to be a player who doesn't need a lot of time to get ready for the season, not getting into a game for theremainder of the spring could force him into playing in minor-league games to get down his timing. That could mean a stint on the disabled list would be in order.

"It's a weight-bearing injury so I guess it's going to take longer," Anderson said.

MLB ERA
    Are you guys concerned about Erstad's health?

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3629721

While the San Francisco Giants went with Barry Bonds, the Angels countered with Darin Erstad as both teams agreed to use the DH even though the game was played in a National League park.

Erstad, who is returning to center field after two seasons at first base, was unable to play the outfield because of a sore left shoulder. That injury is unrelated to the sore right foot that caused Erstad to miss a week of action.

Moving the injury-plagued Erstad back to the outfield this season did raise some eyebrows. Yet nobody is acting anxious over Erstad's recent setbacks.

Erstad has been insisting that these minor setbacks really aren't anything to worry about.
    I don't see him being healthy for the majority of the season.

Well, at least they moved Erstad before he got completely unusuable. So strange to see an awesome defensive CF get moved to 1B. Still, with the Angels minors system, even if he isn't ready to play any time soon, they should have someone to take his place.

Anderson's the bigger concern if he's gone, but that's nothing new.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    I'm counting on Erstad getting hurt, so Rivera can vulture some ABs.

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Angels

I don't like that move but hey, what can ya do? It literally does scare the living shit outta me.

What about Salmon? I can't believe the guy is still hanging on. Must be one helluva knee rehab huh?

Tim Salmon
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast