Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Angels Thoughts and Rumblings

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    The last thing the Angels need is to risk futher injury to Weaver.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    That would hurt them if he was to get injuried. He is one if not there best starter right now IMO.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Not to mention he's going to just get better in the future...watched him pitch a few times last year and the kid has tremendous stuff.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Juan Rivera, who suffered a broken left leg two months ago, is at least two weeks away from discarding his crutches.
    "I shouldn't be using them now," he said. "But my leg feels weak." Rivera doesn't believe he has any chance of returning before June. The Angels would just like to have him back around the All-Star break.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    The matchup I want to see: A healthy Rich Harden vs a healthy Weaver.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Haren, Harden, Weaver, E. Santana and Felix Hernandez....its a good rotation of guys in the division to say the least.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    According to the Los Angeles Times, Jered Weaver (shoulder, biceps) may not be ready for Opening Day.
    The newspaper reports that the Angels have advised Weaver "not to rush his recovery" in order to begin the season on time and says "there's a good chance" he'll begin the year at extended spring training. "Opening day won't have any influence on his pitching," manager Mike Scioscia said. "What is going to influence him getting on the mound is where his body is, where his shoulder is. His body clock is more important than any rehab schedule or the calendar."

An Orlando pharmacy being investigated in connection with steroids was raided Tuesday, and it was discovered that one of the alleged clients of the pharmacy was Gary Matthews Jr.
    The Albany Times Union learned that investigators have uncovered evidence that testosterone and other performance-enhancing drugs may have been fraudulently prescribed over the Internet to current and former MLB and NFL players, as well as collegiate athletes. Also on the list of clients were admitted steroid user Jose Canseco and boxer Evander Holyfield. No other active major leaguers had their names leaked in the article.

Scot Shields was scratched from a scheduled batting practice session Saturday because of soreness in his right shoulder.
    Shields played catch Tuesday, but may not be ready to pitch in a game until next week. "It's nothing serious," Shields said. "It's the same thing I've had the last couple of years. In the past I'd try to throw through it. Once I started feeling it this time, I took a step back, so I won't have to take a week off. It should just be a couple of days."

The Los Angeles Times reports that Hector Carrasco would likely join the Angels' rotation if Jered Weaver (shoulder, biceps) begins the year on the disabled list.
    With Joe Saunders already set to step in for Bartolo Colon, the Angels would look to Carrasco for a short-term stop gap until Weaver is ready. However, there's still a chance he could be good to go by Opening Day, at which point Carrasco will resume his middle-relief duties.

Gary Matthews Jr. met with both the Angels and reported on Wednesday morning to discuss the presence of his name in Tuesday's report regarding the investigation of a pharmacy linked to steroids.
    Matthews didn't have much to say to the press. "While I'm not in a position to discuss yesterday's story [in the Albany Times-Union], or answer any specific questions you might have, I can assure you this matter will resolve itself in the near future," Matthews ready from a prepared statement.

According to documents reviewed by Sports Illustrated reporters Luis Fernando Llosa and L. Jon Wertheim, Gary Matthews Jr. ordered HGH from an Orlando pharmacy in Aug. 2004.
    In August 2004, he was allegedly sent Genotropin -- a brand of synthetic human growth hormone typically prescribed to children suffering from growth failure -- at an address in Mansfield, Texas. The reporters traced the address and found it to be a residence of a former minor league teammate of Matthews', who said that he is friends with Matthews. The reporters further discovered that Matthews received a prescription for HGH through a doctor at Health Watch, a now-defunct anti-aging clinic in south Florida.

Garret Anderson reportedly won't make his spring debut until early next week.
    The Los Angeles Daily News describes Anderson as still "rounding into shape," but the Angels are obviously trying to limit his chances of getting hurt, like he did last spring.

Francisco Rodriguez (hamstring) reportedly won't pitch in a game until at least the weekend.
    Bullpen mates Scot Shields (shin) and Justin Speier (legs) also won't be debuting until at least Saturday, but none of the injuries are considered serious.

Ervin Santana opened his spring with a pair of hitless innings Thursday in the Angels' win over the Royals.
    It looks like Santana will start the third game of the season for the Angels, following John Lackey and Kelvim Escobar. Since the Angels will want to give Jered Weaver's shoulder as much rest as they can, Joe Saunders will likely follow in the fourth game.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99 View Post
    Haren, Harden, Weaver, E. Santana and Felix Hernandez....its a good rotation of guys in the division to say the least.
    Absolutely and they're young. The AL West is very competitve and I wish the major media would give us some more love but whatever. Out here it's all about Bonds.

MLB ERA
    The Los Angeles Times speculates that the Angels are frustrated with Gary Matthews Jr.'s unwillingness to address steroids allegations.
    Asked if he thinks Matthews not responding to questions about the allegations will make more people think he's guilty, manager Mike Scioscia said simply, "Yes." When speaking to reporters Thursday, Matthews said, "At the appropriate time, I will talk to you guys."

The Los Angeles Times reports that Bartolo Colon (shoulder) could throw off a mound before Jered Weaver (shoulder, biceps).
    "Two weeks ago, I would have said no way," manager Mike Scioscia said. "Right now, the way Bart is progressing, it's probably not likely, but as good as Bart feels, you start to see some light at the end of the tunnel when he'll get on the mound."

John Lackey reportedly may be scratched from his scheduled start Saturday because of a non-baseball health issue.
    The Los Angeles Times reports that the issue may be strep throat, but that hasn't been confirmed.

MLB ERA
    Chone Figgins went 3-for-3 with a two-run homer Friday as the Angels beat the Cubs 9-6.
    Figgins, who also stole a base in the contest, hit the third homer of the fifth inning off Cubs reliever Clay Rapada. Gary Matthews Jr. and Vladimir Guerrero also went deep in the frame.

The Angels confirmed that it was strep throat that got John Lackey scratched from his scheduled Saturday start.
    He may only get pushed back a couple of days. Hector Carrasco will fill in today.

While his long-toss sessions have been stalled in the 110- to 130-foot range, Jered Weaver says he is making progress on his sore biceps.
    "After I got the MRI results that were negative, it kind of kicked me in the (rear) and made me work harder to get ready," Weaver said. Still, there isn't any date set for Weaver to throw off a mound, leaving significant doubt about whether he'll be ready for the first week of the season.

MLB ERA
    Brandon Wood doubled, singled and stole two bases in his two plate appearances Saturday against the Rockies.
    Aided by a third-inning triple play, the Angels won 9-8. Wood reportedly is making a quick adjustment to third base. He's behind Chone Figgins, Maicer Izturis and maybe Robb Quinlan, but the possibility exists that he'll make an impact before the end of the year.

Vladimir Guerrero declined to undergo offseason surgery on his right knee even though Dr. Lewis Yocum recommended a minor procedure.
    Guerrerp said back in December that the surgery wasn't necessary because he recovered well after the end of the season. On Saturday, he said that while it may appear the knee is still bothering him, it's not really the case. "I have a family history where there is one leg proven that is longer than the other," Guerrero said, adding that it's the right one in his case. "So when I hobble, it's not my knee. My mom's side of the family, we have a leg longer than the other. So it looks like I'm hobbling, but I'm not. But my knee is fine."

MLB ERA
    According to his lawyer, Gary Matthews Jr. hasn't broken any laws despite a report that he ordered and received HGH in Aug. 2004.
    To prove his innocence, Matthews is employing one of the attorneys who got O.J. Simpson acquitted. "Gary wishes to cooperate with Major League Baseball, the Los Angeles Angels and any other investigative agency that may look into this matter," lawyer Robert Shapiro said Saturday. "He is eager to tell his side of the story and looks forward to providing a statement once all investigations into the matter have been completed."

MLB ERA
    Jered Weaver believes he'll make his first start of the season April 6 against the A's.
    "Everything's on schedule," said Weaver, who has been dealing with a sore biceps since before camp began. "I should get off a mound in a week." That'd still be cutting it very close. Should Weaver miss the first couple of the weeks of the season, Hector Carrasco or Dustin Moseley could act as the Angels' fifth starter.

Kelvim Escobar threw two scoreless innings Sunday in a start against the Brewers.
    Escobar has dealt with some left knee soreness this spring, but with the exception of some early fielding drills, it hasn't held him back. He should be OK to target in AL-only leagues.

Casey Kotchman went 2-for-3 and homered off Chris Capuano in the Angels' 5-4 win over the Brewers on Sunday.
    With the Angels doing nothing to upgrade, there's nothing standing in the way of Kotchman winning a starting job at first base. As a potential .300 hitter if healthy, he's a big-time sleeper right now.

MLB ERA
    Francisco Rodriguez, who is getting over a hamstring injury, is expected to make his spring debut Friday.
    Rodriguez pitched winter ball once again in the Venezuela, making his late start less of an issue. He should be fine as long as he gets six to eight appearances in.

Scot Shields (shoulder) is expected to make his spring debut Friday.
    Shields and Francisco Rodriguez (hamstring) are reportedly scheduled to debut in the same game.

Garret Anderson is expected to make his spring debut Monday.
    Anderson has been held out of camp thus far because of soreness in his legs and the Angels have said that they'll try to limit his playing time before the games mean something.

MLB ERA
    Kendry Morales went 2-for-3 with three RBI versus the A's on Monday.
    Morales, the primary competition for Casey Kotchman at first base this spring, is currently 5-for-8 with two doubles. He should prove to be more ready for the majors once he gets his second chance, but that he's not the same kind of defender Kotchman is hurts his case for a starting job.

According to SI.com, Angels officials have been examining the language in Gary Matthews Jr.'s contract to gauge their chances for recourse should the allegations of him ordering and receiving HGH prove correct.
    Good luck. Matthews reportedly received the HGH in Aug. 2004, before the drug was even banned by MLB. The Angels are almost certainly going to be stuck with Matthews's deal. Even before the allegations, it was a contract it looked like they'd regret within a year or two.

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast