Angels.mlb.com
How important was it for the Angels, psychologically, to split with the Red Sox in Boston, since they might meet in the playoffs?
-- Scott O., Lompoc, Calif.

Normally, I don't attach a lot of significance to regular-season history once the postseason starts. It usually comes down to the team that's hottest, that goes on a roll behind good pitching and defense combined with timely hitting.

In this case, however, I think it did carry a lot of meaning playing the club with the Majors' best record on even terms -- mainly because of the pitching performances by Ervin Santana and Joe Saunders in high-pressure circumstances.

The biggest flaw in this club, contrary to the perception of about 98 percent of fans, has not been the offense -- it's been the back end of the rotation, which has been inconsistent all year. If Santana and Saunders can carry the momentum of their great performances against the Red Sox through the stretch run, the Angels have enough weaponry to go all the way.

The offense is good enough. I wish everyone would stop fixating on that missing big bat and appreciate the exciting brand of baseball the Angels consistently deliver. I know I sound like a company man, but this is something I truly believe.

I've been around the game a long time, and this is one of the most appealing clubs I've covered. Chone Figgins and Orlando Cabrera are having fantastic seasons, and Vladimir Guerrero alone is worth the price of admission.

Vlad has more help than critics realize. It's not conventional in these big-bang offensive times, but these guys can score enough runs to win. They'll steal more runs than anybody with their legs and daring on the basepaths, and they have some clutch bats. If the pitching holds up, they'll have as good a shot as anybody in October.

Do you think any of the Angels have a legitimate chance of winning a Gold Glove? Cabrera, Casey Kotchman and Gary Matthews have been fantastic defensively.
-- Matthew B., Grants Pass, Ore.

I'm with you on that, Matthew, all the way. I'd love to see all three of these guys land Gold Gloves, even though, realistically, I doubt that it will happen.

Cabrera has been the most consistent shortstop in the American League, and I haven't seen anyone better than Kotchman at first. I'd give a slight edge in center to Ichiro Suzuki, one of the best ever, but Matthews has been as good as anybody else playing the outfield this year, including perennial Gold Glover Torii Hunter.

Mike Scioscia is constantly playing with the order, mixing up the tablesetters and who hits behind Vlad. But why doesn't he ever hit Garret Anderson, Kotchman or Matthews in front of Vlad rather than Cabrera? A power hitter could sure benefit hitting in front of him, and Matthews seems like a logical choice, because he can also be a tablesetter. Anderson seems to be the best to hit behind Vlad.
-- Daniel T., West Covina, Calif.

You make an interesting point. Because of the versatility of his offensive skills and his speed, Matthews, I think, would be ideally suited to batting third, in front of Guerrero, with Anderson and Kotchman batting fifth and sixth.

But Scioscia knows his athletes and what he wants to do, and he's been successful implementing his style. He gets the benefit of the doubt on lineup construction, I'd say.

Should we be worried about Scot Shields? He doesn't seem to be as confident as he used to be lately.
-- Robert B., San Luis Obispo, Calif.

Shields will be fine. He has been going through one of those stretches all pitchers run through. He isn't getting away with any bad pitches, and even when he makes a good one, hitters are finding holes.

He's throwing with good velocity and movement. He'll work with pitching coach Mike Butcher and correct whatever minor flaws might have surfaced with his mechanics. Shields is dedicated and smart. I wouldn't worry about him -- or Francisco Rodriguez, for that matter. These guys know what they have to do to hold and save games.

What do you think it would take to complete a trade in the offseason for Minnesota's Johan Santana? Could a trade with the Angels work for both clubs? Who would the Angels need to include in such a transaction?
-- Kurt W., Springville, Calif.

Santana would appeal to any club, but I think it's much too early to be thinking about the offseason and next season. Let's wait and see what happens these next six weeks -- and in October -- before we start working on next year's roster.

This is the best time of the year. I'd love it if we all could just savor these games, these moments. The winter and 2008 are a long way off.