Thread: Notes: Matthews shifts to DH for Angels

MLB ERA

Notes: Matthews shifts to DH for Angels

Angels.mlb.com
    ANAHEIM -- The chance for a sweep was squandered and a bid for recognition as the Major Leagues' winningest team was stalled.

But the casualties suffered during a 9-6 loss to Boston in the three-game series finale Wednesday extended beyond a simple dip in the win column. Los Angeles' most treasured outfield glove would also be snatched from use, the victim of a patella-paining collision at first base.

Gary Matthews Jr., owner of both the glove and the pained patella, collided with Boston's Kevin Youkilis while running to the bag at first.

Although the crash caused some soreness and inflammation to the area around Matthews' left knee, the Angels' prized center fielder was not seriously harmed. As a precaution, he was removed from the field and will remain in the starting lineup as the designated hitter until his knee is deemed suitable for fielding duty.

No MRI was administered.

"I don't want to injure myself," Matthews said. "I'm not concerned about it. I just want to knock it out right now, so it doesn't become a lingering issue affecting me and the team down the stretch."

Matthews said his discomfort is most prominent when trying to decelerate. But that discomfort pales in comparison to the genuine distaste he reserves for his absence in the field.

"I just don't feel like a complete player," Matthews said. "DHing, it's really odd. You've got to do things to sort of keep your heart rate up a little bit, and keep a sweat going.

"I'm not crazy about DHing. You feel like you're removed from the game and all of a sudden, boom -- you're in the game. The sooner I can get back to playing center field, the better I'll feel."

The off-day awarded Thursday and the one to follow on Monday will afford Matthews the extra time needed to rest his knee, while spending minimal time away from his regular post in center. Matthews welcomes the opportunity for recovery.

"I was surprised we had the day off [Monday]," he said. "I didn't know. It's always the best when you don't know it's coming. I just found out about it yesterday."

Face in the crowd: In a bullpen already brimming with some of baseball's most competent relievers, Greg Jones is slowly emerging as yet another viable option to complement the Angels' rich stable of young hurlers.

But Jones' resurgence has not come without setbacks.

In his second stint with the club after being called up from Triple-A Salt Lake on July 24, Jones has made three appearances this season -- none more important than the scoreless inning he tossed in the Minnesota series opener Friday -- posting no record with an 11.25 ERA.

"Jones is a guy that's got a terrific arm, terrific makeup that really took a couple steps backwards from where we saw him a couple years ago in the spring," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "We tried to just figure out his mechanics and get his stuff back."

He got reacquainted with "his stuff" while at Salt Lake. In 32 games with the Bees this season, Jones went 4-1 with three saves and a 3.94 ERA.

"I think it's been evident, probably the last six weeks down in Triple-A, that he's throwing the ball the way he did a couple years ago," Scioscia said. "I think Greg is back on track. He's got terrific stuff when he's on, and right now we're seeing it."

While Scioscia is encouraged by Jones' improvement, his appearances will remain sporadic until a more clearly defined role is carved out for the 30-year-old Florida native.

"I think he could pitch himself into a bigger role, but it's a long way to saying where his role's going to be when you've got guys like Justin Speier and Scotty Shields; the way [Chris] Bootcheck is throwing now, and with Frankie [Rodriguez] throwing well ..." Scioscia said. "It's tough to see where he's going to jump over those guys, but you always leave it open to see how his performance is."

This date in Angels history: On Aug. 11, 1996, the thundering trio of George Arias, Randy Velarde and Chili Davis each launched sixth-inning blasts to tie the club mark in a 6-5 win over Kansas City.

On deck: Jered Weaver (7-5, 3.94 ERA) attempts to keep his unbeaten mark against Minnesota when he shares the mound with Boof Bonser (5-8, 4.63) in the finale of a three-game set at Angel Stadium on Sunday at 12:35 p.m. PT.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Notes: Matthews shifts to DH for Angels

Matthews' injury hurts because Garrett Anderson undoubtably stays in left field.