Thread: Shields Signs Four Year Extension

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Shields Signs Four Year Extension

Angels signed RHP Scot Shields to a four-year contract.
    Shields, who was set to make $3.4 million this year, would have been eligible for free agency after 2008. It's nice to see him get paid after everything he's done the last few years, but we're skeptical he'll be worth what the Angels are paying him in 2009 and 2010. The lifespan of relievers that have been worked as hard as Shields isn't long. The 31-year-old Shields has thrown 284 2/3 innings over the last three years.
    He's one of the top setup men in the league and deserves everything he gets. The Angels have had a great bullpen ever since the 2002 season in which the won the WS. It's a big key to their success and glad to know they never lose their keys.

MLB ERA
    As good as he's been, and as much as I love him, the deal is two years too long.

MLB ERA
    He's a great fantasy player for holds. In today's market that doesn't seem like a lot of money to me.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    As good as he's been, and as much as I love him, the deal is two years too long.
    For a guy worked that much, I tend to agree. Unless the Angels changes their plans with how they use him (which would in turn knock down his value some), it just seems like they are begging to eat a portion of that contract for DL time. I wonder if they tried to offer him a higher base salary but less years initially.