Angels.mlb.com

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Mike Scioscia and Bud Black, constant companions for seven memorable seasons in Anaheim, were reunited on Wednesday at Tempe Diablo Stadium.
Scioscia and his Angels took the measure of Black's San Diego Padres, 6-4, but that was hardly the topic of conversation when the two got together afterward to catch up on each other's lives.

"Buddy's got a different look as a manager, that's for sure," Scioscia said, grinning, when asked about his former pitching coach. "He's great in that dugout and clubhouse for the Padres. We love him. He's going to do a great job there."

Black said he's growing more comfortable with each experience in his new, elevated capacity, calling the shots for the two-time defending National League West champions.

"It's been great," Black said. "The organization's been great, and the players have been tremendous."

Black will keep close tabs on his former team and its pitchers, many of whom he molded along with Scioscia.

"I know them so well," Black said. "You can't help pulling for those guys. I'm just glad they're in the other league. I'm glad we don't have to play them.

"I know the preparation the staff and players put into play. That's what I'm hoping we're going to do -- play this game hard. That's what the Angels do."