LosAngelesAngels.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- At 37, having played baseball for wages since 1988, Hector Carrasco has done, seen and heard enough to know the drill. He's here to answer questions with his arm, not ask them.

Carrasco gets ready to pitch, stays ready to pitch and pitches when he is told. His early-season role appears to hinge on starters Jered Weaver and Bartolo Colon and their recoveries from arm issues. Until they're ready to assume rotation slots, Carrasco is on call.

On a 30-pitch limit Saturday against the Rockies, he worked one inning, yielding a single and a walk but no runs. He said he had good movement on his fastball and harnessed his changeup and curveball, but his slider wouldn't cooperate.

Also in the mix for a starting slot, right-hander Dustin Moseley gave up a run on two hits in two innings -- and served as the middle man in a triple play started by first baseman Casey Kotchman -- as the Angels ran their Cactus League record to 3-0 with a 9-8 decision over the Rockies. Among their 13 hits at Hi Corbett Field were seven doubles, catcher Ben Johnson's triple and a booming homer by Tommy Murphy.

Envisioning the same role he enjoyed last season with the Angels, Carrasco is preparing to work long relief with the idea that he can start if that's what manager Mike Scioscia needs.

"Starter and long relief, to me it's all the same," Carrasco said. "A starting pitcher has to prepare more, but I'm ready for anything. The way I pitched last year, starter and reliever, is probably going to be the same this year.

"I'm just here to help the team. I'll be ready [to start] just in case a spot opens."

Carrasco, who made his Major League debut with Cincinnati in 1994 and is pitching for his seventh club, was 7-3 with a 3.41 ERA in 2006. He made 56 appearances, three as a starter, reaching 100 1/3 innings with 27 walks and 72 strikeouts -- the kind of ratio that makes a man like Scioscia smile.

"Carrasco is going to be stretched out as a starter," Scioscia said, adding that the plan is to extend him to 45 pitches next time out and gradually climb to 90 by April.

The manager was impressed with 6-foot-3 right-hander Marc Gwyn, who gave up a run and two hits in 2 1/3 innings. A reliever the past four years in the Minor Leagues, he began his career as a starter in the Oakland system.

"There's a lot of guys in that pool [to start]," Scioscia said. "Moseley, Carrasco, Gwyn. There are some good arms that could be candidates."

Friends, not rivals: While Murphy underscored his argument for an outfield roster spot with his two-run blast to center against veteran lefty Tom Martin, Reggie Willits had an RBI single. Terry Evans had an RBI double, and Nick Gorneault also has made an early impression with his loud bat.

All four have their primary strengths -- Murphy's complete game, Willits' speed and versatility, Gorneault's power, Evans' consistent bat.

"We have a lot of options," Scioscia said. "Is it speed off the bench? A defensive replacement in the late innings? A bat? There are a lot of things you look for, and we've got a lot of guys to consider as we fill those roles."

Busting out: Brandon Wood already had drawn raves for his defense at third, and he had his first big day of the spring with the bat Saturday, slamming a 400-foot double to the left-center gap and lining a single. He also ran the bases impressively, stealing second and third after the single.

Marveling at Wood's bat speed, Scioscia said, "He's a baseball player. Brandon, as he gets experience and starts to understand his zone, his upside is off the charts."

Coming up: Right-hander Kelvim Escobar makes his first start of the spring Sunday at Tempe Diablo Stadium against Brewers southpaw Chris Capuano. John Lackey, recovering from strep throat, is scheduled to make his first start of the spring Thursday.