ANGELS 7, ROYALS 6
at Tempe, Ariz.
Thursday, March 1

Royals at the plate: Shortstop Angel Berroa worked the count full and slammed a two-out, RBI single to center. Catcher Paul Phillips also had an RBI single.

Angels at the plate: Left fielder Tommy Murphy had a pair of RBI singles, and Nick Gorneault, also bidding for an outfield spot, slapped a two-out RBI single. Erick Aybar tripled to the gap and scored on Robb Quinlan's RBI single.

Royals on the mound: Starter Brian Bannister was efficient and in command, surrendering just one single in two innings, striking out one. Rule 5 acquisition Joakim Soria was impressive in his debut, working two hitless innings, striking out one.

Angels on the mound: Starter Ervin Santana delivered two scoreless innings, walking two and striking out two and giving up no hits. Chris Bootcheck was touched for five hits and a walk in two innings, giving up one run.

Cactus League records: Royals 0-1; Angels 1-0.

Up next: The Royals face the Rangers on Friday at Surprise Stadium. Right-hander Gil Meche makes his first start of the spring. The Angels play the Cubs in Mesa, and left-hander Joe Saunders is scheduled to make no more than 30 pitches.

This was a very tight game. The first time I checked out the box score, it was 2-4 in the top of the 9th. Next time I checked it was 6-4 in the bottom of the 9th. Now I see the Angels made a comeback of there own.