Angels Mailbag @ Angels.com

The situation at first base seems to be unsettled. Why don't the Angels just play Shea Hillenbrand at first? Casey Kotchman is unproven and I don't think the others will get it done.
-- Eliseo G., Merced, Calif.

Hillenbrand will get some playing time at first base this spring and during the season. Without Juan Rivera, though, Hillenbrand is projected to be the team's primary designated hitter. Nothing has been settled as the position players reported Monday with the first workout scheduled for Tuesday, but Kotchman should have the edge to win the job purely for his glove.

The club hopes to improve a team defense that ranked at the bottom of the American League last year and believe Kotchman is the best defensive option at first base. What offense he brings would be a plus, but Kotchman showed in 2005 that he could hit in the Majors with .302 average and seven homers in 40 games after his Aug. 4 recall. Hillenbrand will get on the field and may also play some third, but he was signed to provide offense.

I respect Mike Napoli, but I think that Jose Molina should start at catcher until Napoli gets more practice. Molina has more experience.
-- Ryan H., Santa Ana

The two catchers likely to break camp with the big club are Napoli and Molina with Jeff Mathis needing to make a strong case to unseat one of those two. You'll get your wish to an extent, as both Molina and Napoli will get their share of starts, but the Angels like Napoli for the power he can bring and his ability to handle the staff. He looked a little lost at the plate in the second half but posted better numbers from a pitcher's perspective (his 3.76 catcher's ERA was the lowest of the three), and that carries more weight than offensive numbers with the organization.

Is there a trade market for Bartolo Colon? With the current staff as solid as it is, would it be possible to dangle Colon to get some offense? And is there an expected return date?
-- Tyler D., Las Vegas, Nev.

If he were healthy, sure there would be market for Colon, but he hasn't been on a mound since last July and his return is unknown. Colon also becomes a free agent at the end of the 2007, so any team would be getting a rental and not much of one if he's hurt. Colon is still throwing from flat ground this spring, playing long toss, and has not been scheduled to get on a mound yet. The Angels believe he will pitch "at some point" but when and to what effectiveness has not been determined.

What's up with Juan Rivera? Is he still expected to be out three to eight months? Can anyone narrow that down a little at this point?
-- Jason F., Moncton, New Brunswick

Until he gets active and puts weight on his surgically repaired left leg, there is no way of estimating how long it will be. The 3-8 window covers the spectrum of expected recovery times for the broken left tibia he suffered playing winter ball in Venezuela.

Rivera is already two months in so the short side is probably out and the medical and training staffs will wait until he starts his rehab to gain a clearer picture for his return. Manager Mike Scioscia said he hasn't heard that Rivera is in danger of missing the entire year. But all indications are that returning any time in the first half would be a speedy recovery

Now that Jered and Jeff Weaver are in the same division, when do you think they will pitch against each other?
-- James E., Riverside, Calif.

There is no way of determining how rotations will line up, but the Angels face the Mariners for the first time in '07 when they host a three-game series, April 20-22. The Angels will travel to Seattle to play a three game series, May 15-17.

I've heard that all Angels games on Saturday this spring in the Cactus League will be televised. Is that true and are there any other games on TV this spring?
-- Steven G., Wilmington Del.

Not quite. Not all Saturday games this spring will be on television but there will be a total of nine telecasts. The first is a delayed game Saturday, March 3, on FSN from Tucson against the Rockies. The telecasts to follow are: Sunday, March 11 against the A's on KCOP; Saturday, March 17 against the White Sox on FSN; Sunday, March 18 against the Cubs on FSN; Tuesday, March 20 against the Padres on FSN; Wednesday, March 21 against the Diamondbacks on FSN; Saturday, March 24 against the Rockies on FSN; Sunday, March 25 against the Cubs on KCOP and Saturday, March 31 against the Dodgers from Angel Stadium on FSN.

The last word:
I'm responding to Rich K., who wrote: "While I have respect for many of the current players, I look at the current roster and can't find one that will provide the kind of selfless leadership and experience as did Darin Erstad, Adam Kennedy, David Eckstein, Bengie Molina or Jarrod Washburn." Can you say Vladimir Guerrero? Like Erstad, Guerrero is a silent leader, one who does so with his grit and determination on the field. A man with the kind of command he demonstrates at the plate makes him a natural leader of any team.
-- Greg, F., Ladera Ranch, Calif.