Dallas McPherson will undergo surgery today to remove a herniated disk, a procedure that will sideline the young Angels slugger for at least six months but should bring a considerable amount of relief to his aching lower back and frayed psyche.

"I've been in limbo for six months, having good days and bad days, wondering if I should have surgery or not, whether I would make it through spring training," said McPherson, who was limited to 101 games the last two seasons because of back problems and has been in pain — often excruciating — all winter.

"But I get a good feeling from the doctors that this is going to work. Yeah, I'm going to miss the first half of the season, but my back has been a problem for four or five years, and I've missed a lot of time because of it. To get it fixed and to be able to move on is a sense of relief."

During the operation, known as spinal fusion, the defective disk will be removed, and pins and screws will be inserted to hold the vertebrae in place. Scar tissue will be cleaned out, and a substance known as bone protein will be injected.

McPherson's doctor, Dallas-based spine surgeon Andrew Dossett, told the corner infielder the bones will need about three months to heal, after which McPherson could begin a three-month rehabilitation and strength-building program.

Barring any setback, McPherson, who hoped to compete for the first- or third-base job this spring, could return by August. "My goal is to be back at some point this year," McPherson, 26, said.

Of course, McPherson's big league career has essentially been one long setback.

He hit 40 minor league home runs in 2004, and the Angels thought so much of the promising power hitter that they let Troy Glaus leave as a free agent to clear third base for McPherson.

But, because of lower-back and hip injuries, he was limited to 61 games in 2005 and 40 games in 2006. McPherson hoped a core-strengthening program would alleviate the problems this winter, but they worsened to the point where he felt pain getting out of bed, putting on his pants and tying his shoes.

"It stinks — this is definitely not how I saw the first two or three years of my major league career going," McPherson said. "But maybe it will make for a better ending, who knows?"
Ouch.