Thread: Colon Activated From DL, Jared Weaver Sent Down

Angels Colon Activated From DL, Jared Weaver Sent Down

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- The Angels activated reigning Cy Young Award winner Bartolo Colon from the 15-day disabled list following Friday night's 5-4 loss to the San Diego Padres, and optioned rookie right-hander Jered Weaver to Triple-A Salt Lake.

The decision to send the younger brother of Angels righty Jeff Weaver to the minors was a tough one for general manager Bill Stoneman and manager Mike Scioscia. Jered Weaver, the team's No. 1 draft pick in 2004, was 4-0 with a 1.37 ERA in four starts after his promotion on May 26.

Jeff Weaver, who allowed three runs and seven hits in Friday's no-decision against the Padres, is 2-7 in his last 10 starts with an ERA of 4.02 in his last five outings. There was speculation that Jeff would go to the bullpen if he had one more poor outing.

"I figured it was going to happen sooner or later, and the time has come," Jered Weaver said. "Bart's coming back and I'm the odd man out. So I've just got be positive and take it in stride, keep doing what I've been doing and work harder to get back up here as soon as possible."

Colon, who will pitch Sunday against the Padres after three rehab outings, is 0-2 in three starts for the Angels with a 7.07 ERA. He's only pitched 14 innings this season due to inflammation in his shoulder after winning a career-high 21 games last year.

"Right now we have some things to settle in our rotation," Scioscia said. "Bart's coming back with a little bit of uncertainty, and we wanted to make sure we're where we need to be."
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Why do you send Jared Weaver down? He'd at least be good in the bullpen, and I'm sure that the Angels could use some help there. Heck, even move his brother into the bullpen. When you have a young pitcher from college come out and pitch that well, you keep him in the rotation, or at least on the 25 man roster. I'm pretty sure he has nothing else to accomplish down there, if anything can be evidenced from his college career, and stats so far this season.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    maybe it's a prelude to someone being moved? and when someone gets moved he'll be brought back up? if not, it explains why they're in last place.