Thread: Graffanino's Back!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Graffanino's Back!

Infielder Tony Graffanino was claimed off waivers Tuesday by the Kansas City Royals, returning to the team that traded him to the Boston Red Sox eight months ago.

"It's a place I'm going where I feel like I'm wanted and I should get decent playing time there," Graffanino said. "This wasn't a good situation for me."

He batted .319 in 51 games for the Red Sox after being traded July 19, then lost his second-base job when Boston obtained Mark Loretta from San Diego on Dec. 7 for catcher Doug Mirabelli.

Although Kansas City has second baseman Mark Grudzielanek, Graffanino thinks he should get more playing time elsewhere. But he loved his time in Boston.

"It was probably one of, if not my most favorite place I've ever played," said Graffanino, who also has been with Atlanta, Tampa Bay and the Chicago White Sox. "I loved every minute of it, playing in that stadium [Fenway Park] with those fans."

Graffanino had talked with several teams after last season and was surprised when Boston offered him salary arbitration. That meant any other team that signed him would have had to give the Red Sox a top draft choice.

"All the teams that were talking to me just pulled back," Graffanino said early this month. He agreed to a one-year, $2.05 million deal that avoided an arbitration hearing but was told early in spring training that the Red Sox would try to send him elsewhere.

"I don't know about soured," Graffanino said. "Ideally, I would have liked for something to have been different and worked out a little sooner and got me into a place where I had a chance to maybe earn a spot on a starting position, but what am I going to complain about?"

He said the Red Sox didn't tell him why he wasn't dealt earlier and he didn't ask.

Graffanino was a solid defender until Game 2 of the AL playoffs, when he let Juan Uribe's slow bouncer on a potential double play roll through his legs. Tadahito Iguchi followed with a three-run homer for a 5-4 lead. That was the final score, and Chicago went on to sweep the best-of-three series.

"I was actually excited about today because it's been a tough spring mentally and physically," Graffanino said. "I'm glad that it's over and I can move on and get a fresh start."
    He isn't going to get anymore PT in KC than he was in Boston. He can help back up Teahen.

Like to hear some opinions from some Royals fans? I know it's not a huge move, but what do you think Graffanino's role will be?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Not a Royals fan but his role will be simply as backup to Teahen, Berroa and Grudz. Teahen might be gone at the trade dealine in order for Gordon to get his shot.

Who's going to be the 1st baseman? Could be a smart move to move either Teahan or Gordon to 1st base.

If it's not too much, can anybody tell me how good Teahan is? Good defender, offense?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Mientkiewicz is the first baseman along with Sweeney every now and then. Teahen has a good arm but I would say above average defender. His offense sucks but it was just his first year in the Majors.

well obviously Mien. and Sweeney aren't long term fixtures at 1B. A move for Teahan to 1B could be a great move. How old is Teahan?

Could be a bright future for him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    They have a spect named Justin Huber who they think we be there at first next year if he does well at AAA.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    He is, and always will be, a super utility sub off the bench IMHO.