DALLAS -- The Kansas City Royals have signed right-handed pitcher Elmer Dessens to a two-year deal, Royals Senior Vice President-Baseball Operations/General Manager Allard Baird announced today.

Dessens, 34, is a nine-year Major League veteran, appearing for the Pittsburgh Pirates (1996-1997), Cincinnati Reds (2000-2002), Arizona Diamondbacks (2003-2004) and Los Angeles Dodgers (2004-2005). Born in Hermosillo, Mexico, Dessens is 41-51 with a 4.40 ERA in 277 career appearances (135 starts), all in the National League. His best year was in 2002 for Cincinnati when he finished with the sixth-best ERA in the National League (3.03) despite posting just a 7-8 record. He has also pitched professionally in Mexico and Japan.

The 5-10, 200-pounder served in a dual role in 2005 with Los Angeles, making 21 relief appearances and seven starts for the Dodgers, compiling a 1-2 record and a team-leading 3.56 ERA. Dessens was solid as both a starter and reliever last season, recording a 3.38 ERA in a starting role and a 3.74 ERA in relief. He pitched 6.0 scoreless innings in his only appearance against an American League team, taking a no decision at the World Champion White Sox. He lives in Scottsdale, Ariz., with his wife, Lorenia, and his son, Elmer Jr.

The Royals also announced the signing of infielder Joe McEwing to a minor league contract with an invite to Spring Training. McEwing, 33, spent the majority of the 2005 season with the Royals hitting .239 with seven doubles in 83 games.

Kansas City announced the promotion of Jeff Davenport to Senior Director of Team Travel/Assistant to Baseball Operations. Davenport will begin his seventh season in the Royals organization in 2006.
print this page
The Royals are trying to better the staff the cheap way and I am glad. The Royals have added Redman to a rotation of Grienke, Hernadez, and possibly Wood and Carrasco. I don't know whether Dessens will start or be in the pen but I think he will start.