Thread: Meche Retires

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Royals Meche Retires

Gil Meche has officially announced his retirement. The right-hander, who was set to earn $12MM this year, says his shoulder pushed him to this decision.

“As a competitor my entire life this is the hardest decision that I’ve ever faced, but it’s not fair to me, my family or the Kansas City Royals that I attempt to pitch anymore," Meche explained. "I came into this game as a starting pitcher and unfortunately my health, more accurately, my shoulder, has deteriorated to the point where surgery would be the only option and at this stage of my life I would prefer to call it a career rather than to attempt to pitch in relief for the final year of my contract."

Meche thanked the Royals and their fans for his four seasons in Kansas City. It's not clear whether the Royals will save money because of Meche's decision, but it seems likely that it will benefit the team financially.
    I'm sure the Royals are a little upset at the timing of this decision if indeed the Royals can save money. I'm sure they would have had a better offseason if so. Meche did well in the first two years of his deal with KC but injuries plagued the last two seasons. Meche retires with a 84-83 record and 4.49 ERA. Meche retires at the ripe old age of 32.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Meche Retires

Ugh. Can't Meche just give me his identity? I could definately use $12,000,000.

Seriously though, good for him. He knew he wouldn't come back, so he let the club off the hook.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Banned
    Rookie ERA

I couldn't have walked away from all that money

Lets the club off the hook so Glass can stick $12m in his pocket.