Thread: Affelft to the Marlins?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Royals Affeldt to the Marlins?

Affeldt possible for relief

By Juan C. Rodriguez
    and Mike Berardino Staff Writers
    Posted July 8 2005

MIAMI GARDENS · While the Marlins continue to monitor the status of veteran lefty Mike Stanton, expected to become a free agent this weekend, they also have their eye on a younger option.

They have talked to the Royals about lefty reliever Jeremy Affeldt, who had 13 saves in 17 chances last season. However, the rebuilding Royals are expected to ask for a top young corner outfielder in return, and the Marlins have deemed Double-A outfielder Jeremy Hermida untouchable.

No other high-level Marlins prospect would seem to fit that demand. At least a half-dozen clubs have inquired about Affeldt, 26, who is rehabbing a groin injury at Triple-A Omaha. Affeldt, who has been bothered by blister problems in the past, had a 6.48 ERA in nine outings for Omaha.

He touched 96 mph this week, but in 81/3 innings at Omaha he had allowed nine hits and six walks. Affeldt is making $950,000 and is eligible for salary arbitration.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...orts-headlines

Don't see a deal happening unless Royals are happy in the spect(s) they are getting for Affeldt.

AA ERA
    If the Marlins really want him and offer a good spect that would be nice. Who knows how that injury will heal.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

True, Affeldt is a question mark right now with the injury. Royals will most likely hold out for a top spect in return for Affeldt.

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    Hermida is a stud as far as prospects go. The Marlins can find relief help elsewhere that won't cost them one of their top prospects.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    It wouldn't be a bad trade. The Royals need anything and everything. They're a young club, but help is on the way with their hitting.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    They have good prospects in AAA Husker?

AAA ERA
    One hitter in particular who has yet to sign with the Royals is 3B Alex Gordon. He's being compared to George Brett.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Man, to be compared to one of the Royals greatest is like Gold. He has a lot to live up to now. Thanks Husker. Does he play at Omaha?

AAA ERA
    I think he'll start out in AA for a little bit and then go to Omaha. My best guess is that he'll make his major league debut early next year.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Oh, I take it he just got signed then. No wonder I couldn't find him anywhere. I will be looking out for this guy then.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFan2002
    It wouldn't be a bad trade. The Royals need anything and everything. They're a young club, but help is on the way with their hitting.
    For the Royals it wouldn't be a bad deal, in fact it would be a pretty big steal IMO.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Oh, I take it he just got signed then. No wonder I couldn't find him anywhere. I will be looking out for this guy then.
    He hasn't signed a contract with the Royals, yet. Once he signs a contract, I assume he'll start out in AA then work his way to Omaha.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Oh Ok, I see. Thanks for the heads up man.

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    For the Royals it wouldn't be a bad deal, in fact it would be a pretty big steal IMO.
    The deal would be a steal for the Royals, that's why I don't see Marlins doing it. Royals are going to be asking for too much, and Marlins aren't going to want to part with much. Anything can happen. Maybe Marlins will be stupid enough to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast