Thread: Two Players the Royals Should Take A Chance On

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Royals Two Players the Royals Should Take A Chance On

The Royals should really take chances on signing low risk, high reward guys like Xavier Nady and Justin Duchscherer and I will explain why. Xavier Nady is coming off TJ surgery so he will come cheap but the man does have pop and is a good OFer. But why I think the Royals would be a good fit for him is that the Royals have Jose Guillen who also had TJ surgery a few years ago so Guillen could help Nady on his road to recovery. Plus the Royals need an OF/DH type. Royals could push DeJesus back to CF and have an OF of Nady, DeJesus and Guillen which would be a great improvement.

Duchscherer is intriguing because he too is coming back from elbow surgery but didn't not come back late last season from suffering depression, something Greinke had bouts with. Greinke could be a huge deal of motivation for Duchscherer and get him back to his 2008 form. Who better to help him than the 2009 Cy Young winner?

These are two low risk free agents the Royals could really benefit from if they return to their former selves. They have players now who have been what they have gone through and Nady and Duke could really benefit from being around these players. If I was Dayton Moore, I would pick these two up.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Two Players the Royals Should Take A Chance On

I like it, but I am not sure Greinke would be of use to Duchscherer. Yeah it sounds like a good plan, but I am not sure I would mess with anything Greinke is doing. Let him have at the game how he sees fit. Making him a mentor may put him out of place.

Just thoughts. But I really do like the plan you have rolling here. The Royals are a solid young team. Perhaps Meche can come back and help Greinke out. I like the youth they have and the young guys coming in. Eric Hosmer and Aaron Crow namely are a couple that should really help them come along in the next few years.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    I like it, but I am not sure Greinke would be of use to Duchscherer. Yeah it sounds like a good plan, but I am not sure I would mess with anything Greinke is doing. Let him have at the game how he sees fit. Making him a mentor may put him out of place.
    Agreed. You don't know if Greinke is or isn't the type who is willing to talk to his teammates about his past demons.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Valid points guys, Greinke is definitely not one to be in the spotlight and hates media attention but that might not be the case in the clubhouse. We really don't know but depression is a daily battle and Greinke could be able to help Duke get through it and focus on baseball. I think these moves would be great because they will be on the cheap side and have guys in place that have gone through the exact same afflictions that Nady and Duke have gone through.