Thread: The Royals Should Sign Ray Durham

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Royals The Royals Should Sign Ray Durham

Since the Royals have a knack for signing aged players on one year deals and apparently have no interest in bringing Mark Grudzielanek, the Royals should sign Ray Durham to a one year deal. Aviles would move to SS and the switch hitting Durham would play second. Durham wouldn't be blocking anyone considering Willie Bloomquist could be the Opening Day second baseman. Scary thought right there.

Durham is coming off a rebound year in '08 after a dismal '07 season. Durham hit .280/.380/.432 with just six homers in 128 games with the Giants and Brewers. As I previously pointed out, Durham is a switch hitter who has good on base skills which the Royals need. The Royals were 12th in the AL in runs per game last year and dead last in HRs and OBP. Durham would help that. The Royals have already added Coco Crisp and Mike Jacobs to help out, Durham would be a good fit for a year. He can even steal the occasional base. Durham will be a lot cheaper than the alternatives like Orlando Hudson or Orlando Cabrera.

1. DeJesus
    2. Crisp
    3. Gordon
    4. Guillen
    5. Butler
    6. Jacobs
    7. Durham
    8. Olivo
    9. Aviles

Makes for a better offense.

MLB ERA

Re: The Royals Should Sign Ray Durham

I really don't see it. They have Alberto Callaspo ready to play regularly and should give him an opportunity to do so. He and Aviles could be a good 2B/SS combo for several years.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Isn't Callaspo hurt?? I thought he was hurt and going to miss a lot of the season. That's why I said Durham wouldn;t be blocking anyone. Guess I was wrong. Nevermind then.

MLB ERA

Callaspo was on the DL last year, but played well in September. He batted .330.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

There is concern about Callaspo's defense, but he seems to be a good hitter. I just hope Aviles can continue from where he was last year. I'm surprised they didn't bring Gruds back. I was also hoping maybe they'd sign Orlando Hudson.

Oh and I heard the other day that Mark Teahan might get a shot at 2nd base. He's a flexible player and has played 2nd before, albeit years ago. I guess if anyone can make that move it'd be him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I heard that too but they also have Willie Bloomquist and Callaspo. O-dog would have helped a lot and there is still time. Same for Grudz.

Is Grudz even signed with anyone? I'm thinking he isn't and I'm kinda surprised KC hasn't resigned him.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Grudzielanek hasn't signed with any team. My theory is KC feels that keeping him around represents more of the same.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Grudz isn't signing with anyone soon because he would cost a draft pick. KC should re-sign him now that Hudson is taken.