Thread: Olivo Over Buck

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Royals Olivo Over Buck

Miguel Olivo was promised a starting job before agreeing to stay with the Royals on a one-year deal with a mutual option.
    "That’s absolutely the plan," GM Dayton Moore said. "If we play seven games in a row, you’ll probably have Miguel Olivo catching four and John Buck catching three." For the first week. Then all that will matter is who is playing better. Acquiring a long-term catcher should have been one of the Royals' top priorities, but they're going to again put it off and focus on other areas. Under the terms of his deal, Olivo will make $2.7 million. The mutual option for 2010 is believed to be worth $3.25 million.
    Olivo is the better choice of the two but I do think the Royals should have looked for a long term solution at catcher. Salty from Texas would have something to look into. The Royals could definitely use a BB every now and then from Olivo. He only had seven all of '08. Royals did have a nice second half with Olivo getting most of the playing time though.

MLB ERA

Re: Olivo Over Buck

Not sure this is a good idea. He is a decent catcher, but I like Buck better as a long-term option.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Rookie ERA

Re: Olivo Over Buck

I agree with this decision. Buck is a decent catcher, but Olivo has more talent. He's the better choice. Buck will be a good backup though.