Thread: Pitching runs in the family for Bautista

Pitching runs in the family for Bautista

MLB.com: Cousin helps out Bautista

PEORIA, Ariz. -- Denny Bautista did some pitching in the Dominican Winter League. Not too much -- nine games in relief work for Estrellas.

It was what Bautista did on his off days that might have made more of a difference. He worked out with a pitcher of considerable fame, Pedro Martinez. Make that cousin Pedro.

"He's a second cousin on my mother's side," Bautista said. "When we played winter ball and I got a day off, I'd work out with him. Martinez is like the best pitcher we have in the Major Leagues and he showed me what I have to do."

AA ERA
    I think I remember his name from last year. Crazy some of the family connections that are out there.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Ya. Didn't Pedro have a brother who was a pitcher? Ramon Martinez? Remember him pitching for the Expos or Dodgers...

AA ERA
    I think so. I thought he played for the Red Sox at one time too. Don't remeber the name though.
    I aim to try

I think he did play for the Sox for a year or two. Went to another team and then left the game of baseball.

And Ramon was pretty good at one time too. I really like this kid, he has a lot of potential. He looked great this spring. We totally ripped off Baltimore in getting him too. I only gloat on that because we are usually the ones getting the short end.

So Ramon is still playing???

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by GoYankees
    So Ramon is still playing???
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/martira02.shtml

He is retired.
    I aim to try

Yeah as far as I know he is done. I think he went somewhere after Boston but I don't remember where.

I was confused about the post, you had it as one paragraph. So I thought it was all about Ramon. I understand now.

I see how that could be confusing. I went from one subject to the other without hesitation. Sorry about that.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Killah Sith
    Yeah as far as I know he is done. I think he went somewhere after Boston but I don't remember where.
    He played in Pittsburgh during 2001 but only pitched 15 innings.
    I aim to try