Thread: Billy Butler Demoted!!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Royals Billy Butler Demoted!!!

The Royals have reportedly optioned Billy Butler to Triple-A and called up Mike Aviles to replace him.
    Esteban German has 38 at-bats all year, so the last thing the Royals need is another middle infielder. Perhaps the plan is to get German and Aviles some time at DH. Ross Gload also figures to benefit from Butler's demotion. However, it's disturbing that the Royals have made no effort to pick up more first base/DH depth.
    Sure he hasn't hit for as much power as they wanted but the guy is just a DH. No need to send him back down especially when they are in the cellar of the AL Central. Royals should have let him stay up since there is no one better to replace him. Royals should have gone after Ben Broussard and might look at Hatteberg now.

MLB ERA

Re: Billy Butler Demoted!!!

Butler needs to play regularly in the field to improve at 1B. The Royals don't want to destroy his confidence by letting him struggle in the bigs. His bat has not been what they wanted, either. They likely sent him down with specific instructions as to what to work on to come back.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

But what better way to work it out than at the big league level. He was getting plenty ABs and Gordon last year was hitting a lot worse and still given the benefit of the doubt. Nobody's bat has been good on this team so that excuse isn't a good one. This team is not going anywhere so Butler should have stayed in the lineup and let things work themselves out. He is too good of a hitter to just get worse and worse.

MLB ERA

Looking at the team stats, I have to believe there are some other "issues" that need to be worked out in Butler's case.
    FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Team Stats
    His fielding has not been bad, either.
    Maybe a month back in Omaha will help him in the long run? Colby Rasmus and Felix Pie have both been sent back to AAA to work on specific things. I expect all 3 of these guys to be back in the bigs before the season is over.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rasmus hasn't been called up yet. Looking at the Royals stats, a lot of guys need to be sent down. They didn't send Gordon down last year after his horrific start and they shouldn't have sent Butler down.

Apparently Butler was struggling some mentally, taking field errors to the plate. That is what I heard anyway. I've been so busy with my kid's ball games and the lack of internet in the past month I really am somewhat out of the loop. But if that is true about Butler, it makes sense he was sent down. The thing about Alex Gordon last year was it didn't affect him mentally. So maybe the break from the big team will help Butler. It really helped Teahan a few years ago.