Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Sweeney Be Traded?

Royals Will Sweeney Be Traded?

And if so to who? I know the rumors are flying but I really haven't heard anything than that the Rangers and Angels are interested. What prospects might either team have to give to KC if this should actually go down?

AA ERA
    KC should dump him just so they can get rid of his salary.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Royals need to trade him for pitching and at least one proven hitter with some pop. The Dodgers would be ideal for both teams cause Sweeney will allow a trade there. He has a restricted no-trade clause but LA is one of the teams he will go to. Sweeney is an upgrade over Choi and the Dodgers have some good young arms. Send the Royals Choi and a couple of their good Double A arms to the Royals for Sweeney. As a Giants fan I hope this never happens. The Rangers could give Adrian Gonzalez and Ricardo Rodriguez.

Back by popular demand whalberg11's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    I am a big Mike Sweeny fan, but get seomething for him now while you still can. Prospect pitching looks like a good option, maybe a 3rd basemen. But rumors seem to have been shut down anyway.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If Depodesta is smart, he won't trade his top pitching prospects for a rent-a-vet in Sweeney.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Not top prospects but good ones. The Dodgers "top" prospects over the past few seasons have not done a thing for you. Edwin Jackson is not doing good at all at Triple A.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    What do you suggest as the "good ones?" The only AA pitcher I think fits that is Jonathan Broxton.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    There are couple of other guys doing well. Stults, Hull and Hanrahan and still there.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Some people think KC should trade Sweeney as a favor to him to give him a chance to win, he certainly deserves it. Others want the prospects. Still others want to keep him because we desperately need his bat in the lineup and fans are tired of losing our stars. As of now Allard Baird says Sweeney is staying a Royal.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    The Rangers could give Adrian Gonzalez and Ricardo Rodriguez.
    Nahh - that's not enough from our side. How about we add Thomas Diamond and if our trade offer of Kinsler for Eniar Diaz doesn't work then we'll add Ian to the offer.

Would that be enough for KC??

BTW - Ken Rosenthal says that KC wants Ian Kinsler, Kevin Mench and us to assume the full contract. Hopefully Hart's respons....oh wait, Buck runs our team. *Ahem*, hopefully Buck's response was "Okay, so that's one tall glass of not in your lifetime, coming up!"

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Didn't Mench just a sign a new deal?

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Didn't Mench just a sign a new deal?
    It was a one year $300k non-arbitration deal. I believe we hold his rights for 2 more years, but don't quote me on that

AA ERA
    He will probably get traded. I'd be surprised if he is still around.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Sweeney is still a good 1B...but the Royals shouldn't expect to get a lot for him. He's had health problems, he's aging, he's expensive, and he's a good but not great 1B.

If the Royals get a great prospect, I'd be surprised
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Actually he's not even that good at first base. Though he has improved this season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast