Thread: Bye Bye Emil

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Bye Bye Emil

Royals non-tendered outfielder Emil Brown.
    The Royals are keeping Brandon Duckworth and the rest of their arbitration-eligible players. Brown led the Royals in RBI each of the last three seasons, though that was with a ridiculously low total of 62 last year. He hit just .257/.300/.347 in 366 at-bats last season. Brown should land with a team in need of right-handed hitter to start against lefties. He's worth $2 million or so as a fourth outfielder.
    Brown will find another team pretty quickly. The Pads, Twins and even the Pirates might want him. As starved as the Royals are for offense, this is a shocker.

MLB ERA

Re: Bye Bye Emil

I agree. A couple of seasons ago, he was their best player on the field. He should get picked up very quickly.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Re: Bye Bye Emil

He's a good player as a 4th outfielder and a guy who can start for you for a long period of time if injuries occur. I liked Emil Brown but the Royals don't really need him any more. Players like him seem to be a dime a dozen and he really wasn't that great. He just did a good job on a bad team and that made him look better than he was. Still he is very serviceable and I'd think a contending team would love to have him for depth. The Royals didn't need to spend money on him when they have young players who are the future looking for playing time. With Jose Guillen, David Dejesus, Mark Teahan, and Joey Gathright all on the roster, there isn't much room for Brown and he wouldn't take the bench too kindly. Throw in youngsters Shane Costa and Mitch Maier, maybe even Billy Butler, and Brown wasn't needed.