Thread: Royals Payroll

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA

Royals Payroll

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/11280694.htm

I personally think the Royals are doomed to mediocrity or less (barring a miracle) for this season and every season in at least the near future. The days of big spending by the Royals ended with Ewing Kauffman. And baseball, minus any salary cap, is simple...you don't spend, you rarely win.

Kansas City is in a situation where if the young players develop into superstar status, the Royals won't be able to offer the money to keep them long-term (i.e. Carlos Beltran).

Would you say GM Allan Baird wasted money on Santiago and Juan Gone last year? It makes me wonder if he is that great of a talent evaluator...

AA ERA
    Yea this year will probably suck quite a bit. Nothing good to look forard to really.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Pena is a great manager, and they had a decent team a couple seasons ago. Just went on decline since then.

While they didn't work out for us, I still applaud the Royals for trying last year. A lot of Royal fans were on the bandwagon last year and were hyped up for Gonzalez, Santiago, and the others. A lot of those same fans now complain how terrible of moves they were and also complain about how bad we are now. Well again I'll say, they tried.

That's the difference between teams like the Royals and teams like the Yankees. The Royals signed those guys and they HAD to succeed for the Royals to even contend. The Yankees can miss just as badly or worse, and just release them and get someone else if needed. That is why baseball is messed up so bad, forget the steroids.

A lot of people wanted the Royals to go out and spend this offseason, but we'd gotten the same result. I like what they did, at least I can watch a team that plays hard and has a chance to grow. Plus they can put the money they didn't spend in the bank and spend it on these players when they get good or add a few players when need be.