Thread: Royals actively shopping Dotel

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Royals actively shopping Dotel

Dotel might be the hottest trade property in baseball with so many contenders seeking to bolster their bullpen for the stretch drive. The Dodgers, Indians, Tigers, Red Sox and Braves are among those teams known to have some interest.

Teams have until 3 p.m. July 31 to make trades without sending players through waivers.

The Royals are shopping Dotel, primarily, because he can choose to become a free agent after the season. His contract has a mutual option for 2008 that allows either side to void it.

Dotel’s current contract includes $5 million in guaranteed money with bonuses for games finished that can total another $2.5 million.

Club officials are also hoping to generate interest in veteran outfielder Reggie Sanders, who returned Monday from two-plus months on the disabled list. Sanders is concluding a two-year deal that also has about $2.1 million remaining.

The Royals are dismissing, for now, a Chicago radio report alleging strong interest by the Cubs in reliever Zack Greinke. The Royals are willing to trade Greinke, but the price would be high.
    The guess here is that he stays in the AL Central as an Indian or Tiger.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Re: Royals actively shopping Dotel

Dotel has pitched well but it was known from the beginning that he wouldn't be here past one year, if even that. Hopefully we get a good prospect for him.

I really hope they keep Greinke. Even if they keep him in the bullpen he's done very well there and could be a closer in my opinion. I don't see the point in trading him unless the offer is too good to pass up or they are worried his anxieties will come back.