Thread: Royals fire GM Baird

Royals Royals fire GM Baird

Royals fired general manager Allard Baird; named Dayton Moore general manager, effective June 8; named Muzzy Jackson interim general manager.
    Jackson will run the team through the draft next week, which may have been a term of Moore's hiring. Otherwise, the Royals would be stealing all of the Braves' picks. We don't know that Moore will be a great GM, but the 39-year-old has been a key figure in perhaps baseball's best front office and he is very well regarded. That he'll have complete control over baseball operations should leave Royals fans more optimistic about the future than they have been in quite some time

Took them long enough.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Nice move on the Royals part.

MLB ERA
    This move is meaningless until the GM is given a free hand to do his job apart from David Glass's meddling son.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    One down, about everyone else left to fire.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Now Royals fans are anxiously awaiting to see when Alex Gordon will make his major league debut. With Baird, we don't know. With Moore, I think we'll see Gordon up very shortly.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    When is someone going to buy out the owner and actually spend money on this club? Baird was not the problem!

MLB ERA
    Spending money isn't the problem. Baird wasn't a good GM, but he wasn't the problem. The team has no commitment or understanding of how to win baseball games. This is why when the Royals decide to spend money in free agency, they throw it away on crap like Mark Grudzielanek and Doug Misspelling.

MLB ERA
    Saber is perfectly right. I feel bad for a guy like Mike Sweeney. He loved the fans in KC, the area too, but he never got close to a winning team. It sucks to see such a good baseball town thrown to the dogs because making some $$ is more important than winning. They don't need more money, the don't need a new GM, what they need is a commitment to winning, and that starts in the Farm System.

AAA ERA
    Dry1313 ...Money is like luck. Things are always better if you have it. But I do agree, It all starts with a solid Farm system!

MLB ERA
    Baird was an idiot, he was against drafting Andrew Miller even though management said they didn't have a problem going to contract negotiations with him. Good move on the Royals part and perfect timing right before the draft.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Royals were to cheap to keep a guy like Beltran and traded him for guys like Wood and Buck! Money was a massive problem! Farm system is the key but you have to sign role players to go around these young stars.

They got JS Jr. Moore will do well for KC
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Supposedly Moore will have the authority to fix the above mentioned problems, we'll see. Baird wasn't as bad as some make him out to be, his mistakes are magnified because the team has been bad and the team can't afford even the slightest mistake. But it was time for him to go. He'll move on and be successful elsewhere and hopefully Dayton Moore gets the Royals on the right track. Baird's biggest fault might have been one of his biggest strength's, his loyalty. I think he was just too loyal to stand up and say things weren't right.

As for David and Dan Glass, they made the change and apparently gave Moore the power to make the changes needed. If true, then they have cleaner slate. If they cancel trades and go too cheap like they did to Baird, then I have a feeling Moore will say or do something and the fans won't accept it any more.

AA ERA
    I just don't get it... I really thought he had something going for him.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think they need a new way of thinking for their team in general. They need fresh blood up top. This was a proud mid-market franchise when I was young. Its sad to see them like this. 12-1 when I was watching TV today. Its sad, I want the days of Saberhagen and Brett
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)