Thread: Sweeney Hurt.....Again?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sweeney Hurt.....Again?

Mike Sweeney left Tuesday's game in the ninth inning after being hit on the right hand by a pitch.
    Sweeney was in quite a bit of pain, so he'll probably go in for X-rays. If he's going to miss any length of time, the Royals would turn to Matt Stairs at DH
    This might be a good thing because he hasn't been hitting.

It's a shame to see him injured once again. Maybe Royals should try and trade him, and just move on.

Seems like Sweeney is injury prone.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Too little, too late for that now.

True, but I'm sure they could get something for him still.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    His has that damn no-trade clause which has killed the Royals chances plus he is hurt all the time. They wouldn't get much for an aging DH. This was the year to stay healthy for him as they went and got Doug M.

Heh. Didn't know about the no trade clause.

The injuries, heh, some team would've looked passed it and traded for him.

Actually I believe his no trade clause is limited to certain teams, I don't remember which. Another problem is his salary goes up if traded. He'd probably be open to a deal if the team was right. I have mixed feelings on it. Afterall he is the one star we had that took less and stayed in KC. You can't ask for a better person to be on your team either. But with all that said, you'd like to see him play for a winner and he deserves better than being on a last place team.

I honestly don't know what he'd do. He might go if given the chance or he might want to stay and see this rebuilding movement through hoping it pays off. That would actually be the ultimate.

Well, I think the greatest thing for Sweeney and the Royals is, if he gets traded. Sweeney goes to a winning team possibly, while Royals get rid of him and get something in return for the injury prone hitter that Sweeney is.

I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen later this season or even next year, but the Royals will have to get a good player for him. It'd take guts for KC to trade him, I think the fans would riot.

They probably would riot, but in the end, it's best for both sides. Don't know what type of deal some team would offer up for Sweeney, but it'd probably be a team who really didn't care, in a sense, bout their farm, any they just wanted to make a run for the championship.

That would be the best time to trade him, during the heat of the pennant race. I know last year both the Angels and Rangers were interested in him, but obviously nothing happened. I believe they could trade him to the Angels no problem, and Sweeney was open to a Rangers trade. Of course with his mediocre defense and injury proneness, he's basically a DH now so there goes half the league who might trade for him.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Is it me or Sweeney a waste of space in Kansas City? I'm pretty sure he's extremely loyal, but loyalty is nullified when your team is destined to lose over 100 games year end and year out.

Buddy Bell's focus is strictly on pitching. He's not too worried about the hitting although signing Doug Mientkiewicz, Mark Grudzielanek(common spellings), and Reggie Sanders is a slight step in the right direction, but they are only here for the short-term.

I think the Royals have the first pick in next year's draft, no? If so, pitchers will be a big quantity. There's really not that one hitter in the draft that awes you like Gordon.

Pitching is most definetely what they need to concentrate on. As I've said before, our top three hitting prospects are in the minors right now. They will fill in 1B and both corner outfield spots, possibly DH instead with Billy Butler.

The only problem with drafting pitchers is the Royals will probably screw them up with our recent history.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Eh, but they can't screw up on whoever Kansas City will draft first. As of yet, they haven't screwed Alex Gordon by bringing him up to the majors too quickly.

I know there's a pitcher I believe in Texas or Washington that has the potential to be the #1 pick. Not sure what his name is.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Royals should get rid of Sweeney and his salary, but what are they going to get for him? More mediocre players similar to Neifi Perez, Angel Berroa, Mike Wood, and Mark Teahen? Allard Baird is Dan O'Brien without the $24 million signing of Eric Milton and better hair.