Thread: Affeldt happy to be in the rotation

Affeldt happy to be in the rotation

Link

Jeremy Affeldt has long had the look of a promising young lefty with the kind of stuff to anchor the Royals’ pitching staff for many years.

In 2003, Affeldt demonstrated that one day he could be a 20-game winner if only a recurring blister could be solved.

Because of the blisters, Affeldt moved to the bullpen in the second half of that season, where he combined his mid-90s fastball with a knee-buckling curveball in a setup role. It produced visions of Affeldt one day becoming a dominant closer.

The Royals moved Affeldt to the closer’s role during the 2004 season, and again the sparks of brilliance he flashed were doused by an injury. A strained right oblique put Affeldt on the disabled list.

Still, he had enough success to start the 2005 season as the closer.

But Affeldt was hampered in spring training by a sore left groin that eventually caused him to miss nearly half the season and ultimately cost him the closer’s job to Mike MacDougal.

In Affeldt’s four seasons with the Royals, whether it’s an injury or moving back and forth from starter to reliever, there always seems to be something preventing him from reaching his full potential.

When Affeldt takes the mound at 7:10 tonight at Kauffman Stadium against the defending World Series champion Chicago White Sox, nothing stands in his way from blossoming into the pitcher many predicted back in 2002.

“This is the first year I don’t have any groin problems, no oblique problems. My body feels healthy. It feels good,” Affeldt said. “I’ve got to believe I’m going to stay healthy all year and go after it.”

So Affeldt, 26, is healthy and has valuable major-league experience in multiple roles. He knows the starting job is his as long as he produces.

Affeldt went into spring training fighting for one of the final two spots in the rotation. But then Zack Greinke left training camp early because of personal issues, and Runelvys Hernandez was sent to Class AAA Omaha, Neb., to work on his conditioning.

It’s not that Affeldt got a spot in the rotation by default. Affeldt was 3-2 in spring training and pitched well in his last three starts.

Royals manager Buddy Bell expects Affeldt to do well.

“Hopefully, his command will be there,” Bell said. “He hasn’t started in such a long time. It will be interesting to see how he feels, considering he hasn’t done it in a while.”

Obviously, there is some mystery. It’s been two years since Affeldt last started, and by his own admission, it wasn’t pretty. Affeldt was 0-3 with a 5.24 ERA in eight starts in 2004 before he moved to the bullpen.

Affeldt said spring training got him in starter’s mode.

“My whole spring, building up my innings and stuff like that, I feel real good about that,” Affeldt said. “I have a lot of confidence going into this season and an idea I can go six or seven innings.”

The injuries and the ups and downs and constant changing roles should make Affeldt mentally strong for any situation he faces this season.

Affeldt has gone through a lot for his 13-16 record with 17 saves during his four-year career. His 6-12 career record as a starter might suggest he doesn’t have what it takes to one day become a No. 1 or No. 2 starter on a pitching staff.

But there is evidence from 2003 that says he could. During that season, he turned in some nice performances, and seemingly just when he cruised into the fifth inning, a blister would pop up.

Also, Affeldt has a strong defense behind him this time.

“It’s going to be an encouragement for the pitchers to throw more strikes than we did last year,” Affeldt said. “Hopefully, our walk count will go down, and we will just pound the strike zone.”

So everything appears to be in place for Affeldt. He’s excited about this opportunity and probably will show that exuberance in his first few pitches.

“I’m sure I probably will have to calm myself down,” Affeldt said. “But that is just a product of a new season. I just need to make my pitches and trust myself.”
    Thoughts Royals fans?

He has good stuff, but can never figure out how to be consistant. It seems like he's been around forever and all we've ever heard is how good he can be. I have a feeling that unless he finally steps up, this will be his last year in KC.