Thread: Leiter Tells Rocket Not To Quit

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Leiter Tells Rocket Not To Quit

[I]
    March 20, 2006 -- TAMPA - Al Leiter pressed him hard. Derek Jeter and Johnny Damon made pitches and Alex Rodriguez' scouting report glowed.

Yes, we are talking about Roger Clemens, who was a USA teammate of the three Yankees and who could be in line for a return to Pinstripes if he decides to pitch another season.
    "Maybe," Jeter said through a grin when asked if he talked to Clemens about coming back to the Yankees. "I don't think he is done pitching and it has nothing to do with any conversation we had. He likes to compete and he pitched well. Having seen that I don't see him retiring." "Obviously, I would love to have him here," Damon said of the free agent future Hall of Famer. "He is in a pretty good situation because he knows how desperate teams are to get him. I hope when he makes his decision the Yankees will be the [team]."

Al Leiter, who retired yesterday and shares the same agents (Hendrick brothers), delivered a hard sell. "Boy, did I ever," Leiter said when asked if he recruited Clemens for the Yankees. "I can relate. One day he feels great and talks about wanting to come back and the next day he gets a little hip limping and it's 'I don't want to do this.' "
    http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/63368.htm

Clemens gets the old Leiter touch. Hopefully this can have an effect on him and he does not retire. What would you guys do if Clemens does in fact retire? There is a lot of money in that sense to be able to spend elsewhere.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, they need to spend that money elsewhere, even if Clemens decides to pitch again. They can't keep holding cash for Roger when that same money can get them closer to a ring.

Clemens is great, but he's not worth the wait.
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree 100% man. Clemens is IMO the greatest pitcher of all time, yet he isn't worth the wait. They have to go get something now.