Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bags comes out

Oh snap! KOZ said Redsr ♥ Bareback Mounting!
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    LOL, no matter what this turns into a "brokeback mountain" subject. I screwed it all up with the title of this thread.

So...uhhh..

Bagwell came out of the game tonight, what do you guys think?

I think its time for KOZ to come out, if you know what I mean.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    March 22, 2006, 11:49PM
    Bagwell presses onward
    Astro continues bid to play, but 'if this is it, this is it'

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

KISSIMMEE, FLA. - Jeff Bagwell hoped to have settled into first base by now. But 11 days before the National League champion Astros open the regular season at Minute Maid Park, the franchise's all-time leader in home runs and RBIs is still unsure if his injured right shoulder will let him play this year.

Bagwell is adamant that it's too early to say he won't play this season.

"I wouldn't give up on it quite yet," he said. "That could change."

Regardless, the possibility of never playing again has sunk in more than ever for the National League's 1991 Rookie of the Year and 1994 Most Valuable Player.

"I played 15 years in the big leagues," Bagwell said. "That's 15 years longer than I ever thought I would have played. I've had a great career. I've had a lot of fun. I've met a lot of great people. If this is it, this is it. I'm OK with that. But as I've said all along, this was just an opportunity to see if I can do it again."

Whatever he decides, Bagwell is already at peace. He has vowed to be completely honest with the Astros, who deemed him a disabled player in January when they filed an insurance claim to recoup $15.6 million on the $17 million he is set to earn this year.

Bagwell, 37, has had right shoulder problems since 2001. He finally landed on the disabled list last May and missed 115 games in the longest DL stint of his career.

He returned in September and served as the Astros' designated hitter in the first two games of the World Series. He then rehabbed extensively over the winter to see if he could play this spring.

Bagwell served as the DH until he played four innings at first base on March 12 in his first game in the field since May 3. In the best-case scenario, Bagwell would have been playing the field consistently by this week.
    I really hope he can get back on the field at least for one more season. As long as it does not hurt this team to have him in, I hope he plays soon.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I have been saying all along that the Stros would have a better offense and defense with him out of the lineup. Go be a bench coach but don't do this to yourself and the team Jeff.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by General
    What's AZ got to do with Squatty?
    Greatest Jeff Bagwell nickname ever! +rep
    rf28

Yeah, Squatty's a favorite of mine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12