Thread: Biggio Playing Like a Kid Again

Rookie ERA

Biggio Playing Like a Kid Again

The ageless Craig Biggio is playing like he did when he first came up. This is no surprise to Astros fans the way he leaves everything on the field, every day, every night. What is surprising to Astros fans and fans across the country is that Biggio is playing second like an upstart phenom. He is getting balls in the hole and diving and making catches in the gap. It is not that far removed when Biggio was a Gold glove second baseman but he is 40, right?

It has got to be a little unsettling to Chris Burke, the Astros second base of the future, who deserves a shot and is by all accounts ready now. Craig brought his bat with him when he came though the time machine, too. He is 14-36 (.389 average) with six doubles, two RBI's and two stolen bases in 9 games with a OBP of .450. He has always been one of the best leadoff hitters around but if the Astros put Willy Taveras in the leadoff slot (please listen to me Garner), look for his RBI to increase dramaticly considering the doubles he hits.

On top of being currenty 18th All Time in doubles, he is 64th in hits (one away from Ted Williams), 39th in runs (tying Lou Brock). Not bad for a Gold Glove catcher.
    Last edited by Tedc; 04-16-2005 at 10:12 PM.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I really thought last season Biggio was playing over his head (considering his age) and he would fade this year, boy was a I wrong. He is still playing with that same fire he has always played with and to me looks like he could go strong for another couple more years. Kind of Larkin last season, just better on D. It's gotta be fun for Astros fans to see Biggio still perfoming like he always had. Chris Burke is a stud and will be a big part of the Stros future, but if the vet can still do it, let him get his last hurrah's in I say.

As for Taveras, he needs to leadoff. He might be faster than Jose Reyes. A slap hitter who can turn a single into a double and steal a ton of bases, what's not to love at leadoff?

MLB ERA
    Yeah, I've always liked Biggio and Bagwell. Not only have they both had good careers, but they both are classy from what I've seen and play hard all of the time.

I do think Taveras should be leading off for you guys though. Everett should be hitting 7th, with Ausmus/Chavez right behind him.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Some of the classiest players in the game, Houston fans are lucky to see two such great players play together for such a long time.

MLB ERA
    This too, shall pass.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    This too, shall pass.
    That is what people have been saying all his career. He has only proved them wrong. Don't get me wrong, he is not Superman and he will go though slumps, but I can't think of any player that I would want on my team for thier career than Pigpen. He is not the most talented 2ND base/catcher/outfielder he just tries as hard as anyone.

He gives it his all and never holds back.

MLB ERA
    I'm sure you would want him for his career, because he is a Hall of Fame-bound player, but his career is largely passed. He's a 39 year old second baseman who was moved from there because he couldn't handle it a few years back. Resurrecting him based on 2 hot weeks in April is just foolish, like burying Derek Jeter after his awful start last season. He gets his uniform dirty. It's nice, but it's beside the point.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    All I have to say is, will Biggio ever stop? Or will Bagwell ever stop either? I know Bags has some shoulder problems now, but he is still an amazing player. Both of these guys are Hall of Fame bound IMO. And congrats to Biggio for tying with Teddy Ball Game on the all time hits list. A well deserved feat as he has worked hard for it.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    I'm sure you would want him for his career, because he is a Hall of Fame-bound player, but his career is largely passed. He's a 39 year old second baseman who was moved from there because he couldn't handle it a few years back. Resurrecting him based on 2 hot weeks in April is just foolish, like burying Derek Jeter after his awful start last season. He gets his uniform dirty. It's nice, but it's beside the point.

Biggio moved from second base because Kent couldn't play outfield. He is a superior second baseman than Kent but the Astros needed Kent's bat.

And responding to this..."Resurrecting him based on 2 hot weeks in April is just foolish...............".
    Where were you last year? Did you take a long trip or just come out of a coma?

He scored 100 runs, hit 47 doubles( his highest of his career), hit 24 homers (another career high) and batted .400 with a .650 slugging percentage and a .455 OBP in the playoffs last year.

Who sounds foolish now?
    Last edited by Tedc; 04-17-2005 at 11:45 PM.

MLB ERA
    And even with all that, he rated 11th in VORP among centerfielders offensively in 2004. Had he played second last year, he'd have rated 7th. Let's not even talk about left field. So, at this point Craig Biggio at his best is a bit above average. Live with it.

Rookie ERA
    So you admit he is hall of fame bound, hard playing, and at 39, is still an above average player?

I would have to agree with you and was the reason for the post. Thank you.