SAN DIEGO - Even as he continues to rehab his right shoulder from surgery, making huge strides this week in the batting cage at Petco Park, Jeff Bagwell continues to plan for his future after baseball.

For the last five years he has hunted for a home in San Diego County, where earlier this month he thought he was close to a deal on a home 15 miles away from good friend Brad Ausmus.

Bagwell plans to stay behind in San Diego today to house hunt during the Astros' off day between the San Diego series and the three-game series against the Dodgers that will begin Friday night in Los Angeles.

He'll hit off Brandon Backe in a bullpen session Friday. If that goes well, Bagwell will go on a rehab assignment with Class AA Corpus Christi on Tuesday.

Bagwell has long said Ausmus would be the current Astros teammate he'd most like to hang out with in retirement. Ausmus concurs, adding that they'd love to have Roger Clemens around just so they could get the special "Rocket treatment" at local restaurants.

Even if Bagwell's right shoulder bounces back well, he'll likely retire after his current contract expires following next season. Ausmus' contract expires this season, but he realizes he might be able to play a few more years because catching depth is weak in the major leagues.

"We're certainly on the back side of our careers," Ausmus said. "We're a lot closer to the end than we are to the beginning.

"I could certainly envision a scenario where I would play. But if I didn't play, I could be content with having had a decent career, having made a lot of friends and having been part of some championship-caliber teams even though I've never been on a team that won the World Series."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3324303