Thread: Kent not happy when playing his old team

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Kent not happy when playing his old team

July 9, 2005, 1:30AM

Kent walks the walk, but skips the talk
    By RICHARD JUSTICE
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

He was never much for small talk. Jeff Kent didn't see it as part of his job description.

That's probably why he declined to speak to Lance Berkman that day in the training room two summers ago.

"Hey, J.K., how's it going?" Berkman said as Kent walked through the door.

When Kent said nothing, Berkman repeated the greeting. He figured Kent hadn't heard him. Kent had.

"What is it with you guys?" Kent snapped. "You think I've got to walk around saying hello to everyone? I see you every day."

He wasn't much for interviews, either. Players loved watching a television crew approach Kent before a game. They knew what was coming.

Kent would roll his eyes, groan loudly and say something like: "I don't have any use for you people."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3259071

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I really cannot stand Jeff Kent. Berkman does not need to be treated this way. kent has always just looked like that punk that thinks he is above everyone else and deserves special priviledges.

AA ERA
    He deserved it for calling him JK.

Also sounds like a Seinfeld bit where he talks about how dumb it is to say hi to people when that is the only conversation you have with them.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I really cannot stand Jeff Kent. Berkman does not need to be treated this way. kent has always just looked like that punk that thinks he is above everyone else and deserves special priviledges.
    I disagree 100%. He doesn't want to be in the public eye, he just wants to play the game he loves. He's a quiet guy that really, has done nothing wrong to tarnish his reputation, other than not talk to the media. Big deal. He gets the job done on the field, and that's all that should matter for a baseball player.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    He is just an asshole but a good hitting second baseman. So what?

Rookie ERA
    Kent sucks. I am glad the Astros passed on him....so is the team.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I just think he has that look to him. Call it my own personal thinking on some guys. I put Helton and Edmonds on that same list. They just have that high and mighty look to them is all. And to hear what he did here just made me feel like I am right in a way. I just don't understand why these guys can't be cool with the media in a cool calm environment like on the baseball field.