Thread: Jeff Bagwell the Manager?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Astros Jeff Bagwell the Manager?

if this guy had his way...

Name Jeff Bagwell manager and make rest of season interesting | SportsJustice | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

• Hire Jeff Bagwell to manage the rest of the season. He probably doesn't want the job in 2010, and that's not a problem. Then again, he might find he likes it.

No player in franchise history has ever been held in higher regard. It's not just that he was a great player. He's a great person, too, respected by everyone. Managing is about building relationships, letting the players know you have their back.

Smart managers can hire someone to help with the strategy, lineup and bullpen. What managers must do in this era is build trust in the clubhouse.

Cecil Cooper appears to have reached out to his players in recent weeks, but it's too late. What's done is done. I've thought about how he could be saved. If he was given a new bench coach and pitching coach, if he was more curious about strategy instead of more reactionary, he might deserve another shot. Problem is, he has had two full seasons, and he's unlikely to change.
    he goes onto to list a bunch of things that the Astros should do, but it does seem they need a change at manager as well. I'm not sure if Bagwell would be the answer, but if they're going to rebuild it may not be a bad idea. Then again, they may want someone with a little more experience managing.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Jeff Bagwell the Manager?

I doubt that Jeff Bagwell, having been in the major leagues for 15 years, is going to bring revolutionary ideas to the table. This means you'll still have Michael Bourn atop the lineup for his speed and the all important lefty/righty matchups.