Thread: Houston Needs To Start Their Firesale

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Astros Houston Needs To Start Their Firesale

The Astros already have waited too long to trade Roy Oswalt. But they should not resist the idea any longer.

Much as owner Drayton McLane hates to concede, he needs to understand that A) his team is going nowhere and B) his farm system ranks last in the majors, according to Baseball America.

Trading closer Jose Valverde, shortstop Miguel Tejada and catcher Ivan Rodriguez would be a start. But Oswalt — even a declining Oswalt — could bring the most significant return.

Oswalt, like Jake Peavy and Astros teammates Lance Berkman and Carlos Lee, has a full no-trade clause. He is earning $14 million this season, $15 million next season and $16 million in 2011. But given the thin states of both the summer trade market and 2009-10 free-agent market, he still would be attractive to contenders.

Just not as attractive as he once was.

Oswalt, after 10 starts, is in a downward trend. His current strikeout rate would be the second lowest of his career. His groundball rate would be the lowest, his line-drive rate the highest, according to Baseball Info Solutions. His ERA, home-run rate and pitches per inning all would represent career highs.

"Every great pitcher has two careers," one scout says. "He hasn't come up with really good secondary stuff to carry him to his next career phase when he loses his fastball. He hasn't lost his fastball, but it's nowhere near as effective. He has lost some movement."

Still, Oswalt touched 95-96 in his most recent start, and Brewers manager Ken Macha described him as "a strike-throwing machine." Oswalt might be as picky as Peavy in approving possible trade partners. He might bring less than the Astros believe he is worth.

No matter.

The Astros need to make him available, once and for all.
    I have said many times I think the Astros are done only to have them come back and make it a race in the second half. I do not see that happening this year. They are in dead last with just under a week left in May and don't have injuries to blame for their poor start. Ken Rosenthal (the author) is right, its time to be realistic. I think Oswalt can definitely bring in some pieces the Stros can use and think he would be willing to waive his no-trade clause. Houston is no going to be ready for contentions any time soon so why not get out? Plus the Astros now have Wandy Rodriguez to build a rotation around. Free up money and get some nice players in return.

Tejada could be moved and his stock hasn't been this high in a long time. He is currently hitting .348/.372/.519 with 5 HRs and 19 RBI. Some team could use his services if the Astros are willing to eat some salary since he is making over $14 million this year. Tejada would likely have to move positions but so what, the Astros would be ridding themselves of some money. The Royals could have interest since Aviles has done nothing offensively.

Valverde will be harder to move since he has been hurt most of this short season with a calf injury. LaTroy Hawkins could also be moved. Pudge will be hard to move as well but if the price is right for the other team, Pudge could be gotten and for peanuts.

Astros need to get serious and start this firesale now. Build up a bidding war for Oswalt. See what you can get for a guy like Tejada. Be realistic and start saving for the rebuilding that needs to be taken place. Pieces are in place like Wandy, Berkman, Pence and Lee. Be realistic and be smart.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Houston Needs To Start Their Firesale

McClane is a ridiculous owner. This team is going absolutely nowhere but down yet he refuses to acknowledge it.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I do like his never say die attitude. A team could do a lot worse for an owner. Like one who can't keep his marriage problems from affecting the baseball decisions of his team.

But anyway, they do need to sell high on Tejada. I hate to suggest feeding the monster that is the Red Sox, but the Astros really could use some of the Sox's prospects.

MLB ERA

Tejada isnt a MLB SS anymore and Green has turned out to be a very decent SS, and with Lowrie coming back that is no longer a need area for us
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Astros' pitchers' assholes will be sore all week after bending over for the Giants. How the f-u-c-k do you surrender 13 runs to that garbage lineup?