Thread: Pudge signs with the Astros (pending physical)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Free Agent Pudge signs with the Astros (pending physical)

Per Rotoworld:

ESPN is reporting that the Astros and Ivan Rodriguez have agree to a one-year, $1.5 million contract.
    It's about time the Astros stepped up to the plate. Perhaps they'll cut Brandon Backe later this spring to help pay for Pudge, who should get every opportunity to take over as the starting catcher. Humberto Quintero can back him up, with J.R. Towles returning to Triple-A and Rule-5 pick Lou Palmisano going back to the Brewers.
    At this price, this a very good deal for the Astros and will certainly help them be more competitive in the NL Central this season.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Pudge signs with the Astros (pending physical)

This helps a lot in my opinion. The Astros were so weak behind the plate and Pudge is hungry to play MLB ball again. Pudge can also help bring in the Hispanic crowd in the Houston area. Anything to keep JR Towles out of the lineup and push Humbert Quintero in the backup role is a great thing. The Astros will have a good offense once again but the pitching will again be weak. Oswalt and Wandy will have to carry this staff. The Marlins could have really used them but dropped the ball. Good to see the Astros spend some more money.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Oh you're right, the Marlins would have been a really nice fit, especially given their Hispanic market and the need for some veteran leadership.

I wonder if we will see the Astros have a firesale this year if things aren't going right. They have some big pieces to trade, but the longer they wait the older those pieces get. The Cubs are obviously the favorites for the division. Then you have the Brewers who are weakened by losing the pitching they did but still have some solid talent, the Reds who have a lot of pitching depth, and of course any team with Albert Pujols is going to be scary. Oswalt and Berkman would certainly fetch a lot on the market, but I would think they are stuck with Lee unless they covered a lot of his big contract.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Being stuck with Lee isn't a bad thing at all. Lee would have been a MVP candidate and possible winner if he didn't hurt his finger last year and let's not forget the Astros won 86 games last year as well. Astros will be stronger at catcher with Pudge over Ausmus but weaker at third with Wigginton gone and being replaced by Boone and Blum. Bourn should get better in CF but they are now missing Wolf who was vital to their second half run. That's why I can't see a firesale from the Stros. They play in a weak division and always have that second half surge. Its carazy how they do it but they always seem to do it. Who knows? Hampton might just pitch 15-20 decent starts behind Wandy and Oswalt to keep them in the hunt yet again this year.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I never said Lee didn't produce, but that's a monstrous contract for a team with an aging core. They won't suffer with him in the lineup.

I just can't see them, good lineup or not, staying in the hunt with such shallow pitching. I mean its possible, especially if Hampton pitches above expectations, but this division is a lot tougher than people give it credit for, I mean the Wild Card did come from it. The Brewers are weaker, but the Cards and the Reds will be stronger. The NL Central is always an interesting race though.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I never said you said Lee didn't produce.

I think the Central is weaker than it was last year to be honest. Cubs will regress a little after losing DeRosa and Dempster falling down to earth some and the Cards have an OFer playing second base with no real closer on the team. Brewers are weaker in the pen and rotation and the Reds are better but still ways off of competing. Pirates still have weak pitching also. I didn't expect the Astros to compete with that staff they had last year but they always seem to do it. If they are looking up at four teams come July, then maybe I can see them trying to unload players like Tejeda, Pudge and Matsui but that's it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to the Houston Chronicle, Ivan Rodriguez may not undergo the physical exam needed to make his one-year deal with the Astros official until after the World Baseball Classic.
    Rodriguez will make $1.5 million plus another $1.5 million in potential incentives, but the two sides are still being coy about the agreement. "There still isn’t anything concrete," Rodriguez said. "Right now the only team I have is Puerto Rico and that’s what I’m concentrating on." Rodriguez will take over as the Astros' starting catcher, pushing Humberto Quintero into a backup role.
    Pudge is risking a shot to play in the bigs which is very surprising. He best not get hurt or his playing days could be over.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pudge's return to Texas is official. He will be sporting the #12 and expected to be in uniform this Sunday. I bet they will be happy since they have only one win this entire spring.