Thread: Danny Graves gets his last shot with the Astros

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Free Agent Danny Graves gets his last shot with the Astros

He really had awful numbers last year with Minnesota's AAA. Graves was overrated at his peak, but even then he was somewhat effective... that however was years ago and unless he has really added something to his arsenal or changed his mentality on the mound, I doubt he will find success. Especially in a park that isn't the best for a big flyball pitcher like himself.
    Graves joins Astros for his last shot

By Brian McTaggart- Houston Chronicle
    KISSIMMEE, Fla. — Danny Graves was too young to remember any events surrounding his fleeing of war-torn Vietnam with his parents near the end of 1974, about six months before the fall of Saigon.

Graves, who was born on a military base in Saigon to an American serviceman father and Vietnamese mother who worked at the U.S. embassy, was only 14 months old at the time and years away from understanding the horrors of war.

The family settled in Florida in pursuit of the American dream, which often has baseball woven as part of its fabric. Things were no different in the Graves household, were Danny grew to love the game.

More than 20 years later, Graves made history by becoming the first Vietnamese-born player to appear in the major leagues. And thanks to a plea to owner Drayton McLane, he’s in camp with the Astros trying to squeeze another year out of his career.

“I do believe I’ll be the only Vietnamese player to play in the majors,” Graves said. “Baseball is not very big over there. It’s definitely something special, and until the day I die I’ll be able to say I was the first Vietnamese player in the major leagues.”

Graves, 35, recently moved to San Antonio and cold-called McLane during the off-season, convincing the owner to give him a shot. A former All-Star closer with the Cincinnati Reds, Graves has a 43-44 record and 275 saves in 1,216 career appearances.

“The last couple of years I have been struggling trying to get to the big leagues, and I really don’t want to go that route again if it means being away from home too much,” Graves said. “I told them I have a desire to play for Houston and if there’s not a spot for me in camp, I’ll retire.”
    Click here to read the rest.

Jose Canseco injected me Buckcheeks's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Re: Danny Graves gets his last shot with the Astros

He signed with them awhile back...
    LeagueTeamGM Recordcurrent seasondivisionWCLDSLCSWSYears active
    TBSLHouston Astros78-842011000002010-Present

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Danny Graves gets his last shot with the Astros

I didn't catch it. But his signing wasn't exactly major news of course. Kind of like the Reds signing Laynce Nix, Reds fans know but the rest of baseball really doesn't care.

Anyway, Graves has been torched so far this spring. Very hittable.