Thread: Bring Back The Big Unit!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Astros Bring Back The Big Unit!!

Randy Johnson is a 44 year old free agent coming off a year where he went 11-10 with a 3.91 ERA. He threw 184 innings in 30 starts coming off a second back surgery in as many years. Johnson proved to still be an effective and the Astros could definitely use him as a lower end starter. Johnson is no stranger to Houston as he was traded there in 1998 and went 10-1 with a microscopic 1.28 ERA to help lead the Astros to a division title. Houston was just four games out of the Wild Card this season and could have used a guy like Randy. Johnson is also just five wins away from being probably the last pitcher we ever see eclipse 300 wins. Johnson made $10 million last season so he is definitely affordable for the Stros. Astros could have three lefties in their rotation next season if they re-sign Randy Wolf and obtain Johnson. Wandy Rodriguez is a sure thing to go along with the ace Roy Oswalt. Johnson would be a very good stopgap and a nice gamble for a team that just missed the playoffs. Houston could market him and his quest for 300 and Johnson could get one last payday. This is not a rumor but simply something I think the Astros should look at. They made a huge second half surge but were just a starter away from nailing it down and getting a playoff berth. Losing Carlos Lee didn't help either. Astros would still need to get another right handed starter to go with Oswalt but a rotation with Oswalt, Rodriguez, ?, Johnson and Wolf could do them a lot of good. I think Houston fans wouldn't mind bringing him back to make history and help get the Astros back to the World Series.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Bring Back The Big Unit!!

I subscribe you to the theory that if you rely on Brian Moehler and Brandon Backe as two of your starting pitchers throughout the regular season, you're not going to the World Series.