Thread: Matsui seeks 2nd opinion on surgery

Astros Matsui seeks 2nd opinion on surgery

Second baseman Kaz Matsui received a second opinion Saturday from a doctor in Japan and is contemplating whether or not to have surgery to repair an anal fissure.

"I'm still thinking about whether to the operation or not," Matsui said through an interpreter. "I haven't decided yet."

The Astros announced on Friday that Matsui would undergo surgery Monday at the Methodist Hospital in Houston.

Astros general manager Ed Wade said, to his knowledge, Matsui is still scheduled to undergo surgery.

"He spoke with (athletic trainer) Dave Labossiere today about the possibility of getting a second opinion, and certainly we wouldn't stand in the way if he wanted to see somebody else," Wade said. "But (assistant general manager) David Gottfried had a chance to speak with him in more detail late this morning, and at this point he's going to head back to Houston to get the surgery."

If Matsui does opt for surgery he is expected to miss two weeks, which would put him in doubt for the March 31 season opener in San Diego.

"If I can be ready for opening day, that would be good," Matsui said. "Right now I'm just thinking about whether to do the operation or not. At this point, I don't know."
    ASTROS NOTES: Updates on Matsui, Rodriguez, Oswalt, Brocail | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

MLB ERA

Re: Matsui seeks 2nd opinion on surgery

Kaz Matsui (anal fissure) took batting practice on Tuesday for the first time since undergoing surgery on March 17.

Matsui will hit again today and begin side-to-side agility drills. He's expected to be out for ten more days.

-This according to rotoworld. Sounds like one scary anal fissure. I still can't help but laugh when I hear the latest news about this, because honestly, haven't we heard enough about Kaz Matsui's ass?