Thread: Astros want Prior

MLB ERA

Astros want Prior

Astros general manager Ed Wade said Thursday the club has contacted the agent for righthander Mark Prior, who became a free agent when the Chicago Cubs chose to non-tender his contract Wednesday night.

Prior, the second overall pick in the 2001 draft, has seen his once-promising career slowed by multiple injuries.

He had arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder in April and missed all of last season. Prior finished third in the National League Cy Young voting in 2003 after going 18-6 with a 4.24 ERA. His career record is 42-29 with a 3.51 ERA.

"We talked to his (agent) to see what the lay of the land was," Wade said. "I don't know where it's going to lead. There's a lot of teams that have contacted them, and there was some discussions on the medical stats and that type of thing. I don't know where it's headed."

Clubs faced an 11 p.m. deadline Wednesday to offer contracts to players who didn't already have contracts for 2008.
    Astros turn their focus to former Cub Prior | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Quote Originally Posted by FmrFresnan View Post
    I think Prior is going to shock a lot of people next season. I think he'll come out 100% healthy and be a great addition to the rotation.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Astros want Prior

The Astros need pitchers who can help right away, not in July.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Re: Astros want Prior

I guess Prior didnt want to play in Houstin either.