Thread: Matsui To Sign?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Matsui To Sign?

According to Tracy Ringolsby of the Rocky Mountain News, the Astros and Kaz Matsui are close to a deal.
    It's been a bad month for Lance Berkman owners. The Astros are going to have Michael Bourn leading off and Matsui likely batting second most of the time. Matsui's career OBP away from Coors Field is .308. Chris Burke is easily the better bet offensively, though Matsui is clearly superior defensively. A platoon, with Matsui sitting against lefties, could be rather productive. Still, the Astros again will disappoint when it comes to getting guys on base for Berkman.
    He is leaving one offensive haven for another but is not my choice to replace Biggio in the lineup. They were better off going with Loretta or trading for a second baseman.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Matsui To Sign?

The Astros have reportedly agreed to terms with Kaz Matsui on a three-year, $15 million contract.
    That according to the Daily Herald. Of course, the Daily Herald is also saying "reportedly" and not attributing the report to anyone in particular. If true, the Astros have saved the Cubs from themselves. Houston will likely have among the league's worst OBP from the first and second spots at the order, though in their case, it's business as usual.
    I wouldn't give Matsui that kind of money. He's simply not worth it. All he has going for him is an above average glove and the fact that he's leaving a hitter's ballpark for another. Bad deal!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Matsui To Sign?

Bad deal is an understatement. Wow.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.