Astros owner Drayton McLane has been so impressed with the leadership abilities displayed by Cecil Cooper during his monthlong stint as interim manager that he decided to make things a little more permanent.

Cooper had the interim tag removed Friday when he was named the club's 16th manager.

One week after hiring Ed Wade as general manager, the Astros signed Cooper to a two-year deal with a club option for 2010.

"It's a great thrill for me, and it's an honor to stand here and say I'm the new manager of the Houston Astros," Cooper said. "It's a good feeling. I really appreciate Drayton, (president of baseball operations) Tal (Smith) and Ed for showing a lot of confidence in me and giving me this opportunity."

Cooper is the first black manager in Astros history and the 14th in the history of the major leagues.

"I'm pleased that that is the case, but I still can't focus on that," Cooper said. "I have a job to do, and whether I'm blue, green or black, I'm going to do it."

McLane and Wade spoke Friday with baseball commissioner Bud Selig, who endorsed the hiring. Cooper played for the Brewers while Selig owned the franchise.

"Drayton called the commissioner after our meeting with Cecil, and he was extremely happy that Coop was confirmed as manager," Wade said. "It was obvious that commissioner Selig holds Coop in very high esteem.

"It was a very genuine conversation."
Astros give Cooper two-year contract | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Good move here by the Astros but its still weird to not see Phil Garner in the dugout for the Astros.