Thread: Astros interview Bennett, Evans for GM

Astros Astros interview Bennett, Evans for GM

The Astros continued their first round of interviews for their vacant general manager position on Thursday when they met with assistant GM Ricky Bennett and former Dodgers GM and current Seattle Mariners special assistant Dan Evans. The Astros have met with a total of 11 candidates, and while they are not averse to extending the first round of interviews, it's more likely they'll narrow the current field and conduct a second round of interviews next week.
    Club owner Drayton McLane is scheduled to be out of town Monday and Tuesday, so it's unlikely they'll resume the interview process until the middle of next week, at the earliest.
    Bennett's interview with McLane, interim GM Tal Smith and club consultant Bob McLaren lasted for approximately 2 1/2 hours and covered a myriad of topics.
    "We talked a lot about leadership and how it translates into the GM position," Bennett said. "From my perspective, it was a good experience and I felt like I had the opportunity to share my thoughts and ideas on what I've seen in this organization since I've been here. I was also able to also share some thoughts on what I feel is important on a championship club. I am passionate about baseball and was passionate about things this morning."
    Bennett is in his third year as the club's assistant GM and director of player development. Before joining the Astros in 2005, he spent eight years with the Tigers, the last three as their director of Minor League operations.
    This was his first interview for a GM position.
    "All in all, the experience was good for me from a professional standpoint," Bennett said. "I can only grow from it and learn and continue to gain experience. At some point, I'd like an opportunity to run a ballclub. Now Drayton has an understanding from my standpoint of what I think it takes to run a ballclub."
    Evans, who was the Dodgers GM from 2002-03 after spending the '01 season as a senior advisor of the ballclub, also gave an enthusiastic report upon the conclusion of his interview.
    "I enjoyed it," he said. "We discussed a lot of different subjects. There was a lot of conversation on both sides of the table. It was a positive experience."
    Evans attended Wednesday's game at Minute Maid Park the night before his interview in an effort to get a feel for the atmosphere that surrounds the Astros and their fans.
    "I was happy I went to the game last night," he said. "I got a taste of the fan base. It's a real passionate fan base. I'm very impressed with how focused management is on trying to fix the franchise and get it back to what it has been.
    "They're committed to winning. That rang through completely in the conversation. I left with a positive feeling. There was a lot of listening on both sides."
    The surprising resignation of Twins GM Terry Ryan created somewhat of a buzz at Minute Maid Park, but it's highly unlikely he will express interest in the Astros' opening. According to published reports, Ryan will assume an advisory role with the Twins and will concentrate on scouting.
    "I read the announcements," Smith said. "It seems to me like he wants to relinquish the role and get back to the fun part of the game."
    The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Major League Baseball News

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Astros interview Bennett, Evans for GM

In fairness to Dan Evans, he was burdened with the responsibility to clean up Kevin Malone's mess, rebuild an awful farm system, and oh, yes, make the Dodgers into a contender at a time when Rupert Murdoch put away his checkbook.

However, I still remember him by his trade deadline moves that made us want to bang our heads on the wall. No surprise that he joined 'Stand Pat' Gillick's front office.