Thread: Off With Their Heads

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Off With Their Heads

The Astros have fired both manager Phil Garner and GM Tim Purpura, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.
    The Houston Chronicle has confirmed the news. We think owner Drayton McLane deserves his share of the blame for many of Purpura's mistakes, but that hardly means the GM was doing a good job, and Garner's ability to motivate his players was no longer making up for all of his shortcomings. The Astros are better off starting over with a new regime. Unfortunately, so much damage has already been done that a quick turnaround is unlikely. With so little in the farm system and McLane seemingly unwilling to spend for young talent, it's not going to be a very attractive GM opening. They should have changed directions before completely botching the draft this year and then failing to do anything to build for the future at the trade deadline.
    This is quite accurate. McLane isn't a great manager and Purpura's blunders have made the Astros a joke. The Lee deal was great but the Jennings deal has negated that. A change was needed and this was a good move. No clue as to who will replace Garner and Purpura.

Bench Warmer
    Rookie ERA

Re: Off With Their Heads

You got me first.

Cecil Cooper, bench coach, will become an interim coach. Team president will take his position as an interim general manager.

Purpura is a bad GM. The deal for Jason Jennings is the worst I've ever seen this year, and the signing of Woody Williams was nothing. Carlos Lee is a good one, but is it too much for 6 years, $100 mil? I think what the organization is doing what they wanted to take the new and better direction.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think Lee will continue to produce in that tiny park into his later years.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Tim Purpura's loss is Dan O'Dowd's gain.