Thread: Lidge out, Wheeler in

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Lidge out, Wheeler in

The Astros have decided to pull Brad Lidge from the closer's role and use him earlier in games. Dan Wheeler is the new favorite for saves in Houston.
    "I'm going to change the bullpen configuration a little bit," manager Phil Garner said. "Brad is not going to close as a general rule. ... As of right now I'm going to pitch him earlier in the game, sixth inning area, sixth-seventh inning area 'cause I want to pitch him more often, give him more consistent work. As it stands right now I'll probably close with Wheeler, set up with [Chad] Qualls and [Rick] White." It had to be done. Lidge's fastball is still there, so he could turn things around if he gets his head on straight. In the meantime, Wheeler will likely do a fine job saving games.
    Sad to see Lidge's career going down the toilet. The Astros should have traded him in the offseason when he had some value. He still needs to go to a different team to get his head settled and some fresh air. Plus he needs to get away from that sandbox in Houston.

Wheeler gave up two runs in the ninth in today's game. Maybe that won't last long either.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Lidge out, Wheeler in

Must be great to be an Astro fan right now. I'm sure Clemens is watching this closely
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.