Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houston Astros News

MLB ERA

Astros Houston Astros News

Aubrey Huff is expected to take his Orioles physical on Wednesday.
    Huff is getting a three-year, $20 million contract from Baltimore that will be finalized after the physical.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Rookie ERA
    With the signing of Mark Loretta, the Astros don't need Huff's services. It won't be any loss.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Astros agreed to terms with RHP Brad Lidge on a one-year, $5.35 million contract.
    Lidge received $3.975 million last year. He'll be back in the closer's role for the Astros this season, though he'll be on a shorter leash than he was a year ago. Lidge will be eligible for free agency after 2008.
    How the Astros could be this dumb is beyone me. He is making just over last year's ERA, 5.28. How he got that much of a raise is carzy!!!

Rookie ERA
    The thought is that even though Lidge had his worst year for ERA, he still struck out 104 in 75 innings. This shows that he still has "stuff".

When you look around the league at the crazy money being thrown around, it doesn't seem that nuts.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I just find it nuts that he got a raise. I mean he wasn't even the main closer at the end of the season during a playoff hunt. They went by a committee. Plus his walks were up.

MLB ERA
    Free agent Roger Clemens said Friday that he's nowhere close to making a decision on whether he wants to pitch in 2007.
    "Right now I'm just chasing my boys around," he said. "I'm nowhere close to a decision." Expectations are that Clemens will pitch and do so for the Astros, Red Sox or Yankees. However, an official decision may be months away.

Red Sox owner John W. Henry confirmed Sunday that the team intends to make another attempt to sign free agent Roger Clemens.
    Clemens hasn't said whether he'll play, but it's expected that he'll be back pitching in the majors by June or July. That the Yankees have a greater need in their rotation and likely more money to offer makes them the favorites to sign him over Houston and Boston.

Astros agreed to terms with infielder Mike Lamb on a one-year, $2.7 million contract.
    Lamb gets a $1 million raise in his final season of arbitration. After a down 2005, he hit .307/.361/.475 in 381 at-bats last season. He's set to battle Morgan Ensberg for playing time against right-handers at third base, assuming that Ensberg isn't traded.
    Source: RotoWorld

I would like to see Roger back next season however, not in a Yankee uniform.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Rookie ERA
    Loretta was signed to spell Biggio, who is just 70 hits from cementing his future in the Hall Of Fame. Craig has fizzled in the past few years down the stretch and even though he looks like a baby, he will be 42 this year.

The Loretta signing helps out in that area.

Ensberg is a quandry. He has shown monster numbers and then he has looked like a deer in the headlights. This will be his year to show his worth or he will be out of a job. The Lamb signing gives the Astros an insurance policy at that position while keeping a stellar left hand pinch hitter and an option at first base.

One thing that hasn't gotten a lot of coverage has been the Carlos Lee signing. Lance Berkman manned up last year with a .315 average, 45 home runs and a .615 slugging percentage without the protection of an adequate cleanup hitter.

The Lee signing makes facing Berkman scary for any pitcher.

MLB ERA
    Craig is 42, this year? He really doesn't look it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedc
    One thing that hasn't gotten a lot of coverage has been the Carlos Lee signing. Lance Berkman manned up last year with a .315 average, 45 home runs and a .615 slugging percentage without the protection of an adequate cleanup hitter.

The Lee signing makes facing Berkman scary for any pitcher.
    That is if Berkman and keep it up.

Rookie ERA
    I see Clemens playing the Yanks against the Sox to build up his numbers before deciding. If I were him, I would take advantage of the inflated numbers this year. Whatever he gets will be gauranteed and he could walk (with all his millions) at any time.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DravenX

That is if Berkman and keep it up.
    Berkman is only 30 and has a lot left in him.

Rookie ERA
    Astros agreed to terms with third baseman Morgan Ensberg on a one-year, $4.35 million contract.

Ensberg, who made $3.8 million last year, asked for $4.9 million and was offered $4 million in arbitration.

Astros agreed to terms with shortstop Adam Everett on a one-year, $2.8 million contract.

Everett settles for a $900,000 raise after making $1.9 million in his first year of arbitration. Had he won the Gold Glove he so obviously deserved, he probably would have done better. He asked for $3.4 million in arbitration and was offered $2.5 million.

Astros agreed to terms with outfielder Jason Lane on a one-year, $1.05 million contract.

Lane asked for $1.375 million and was offered $900,000 in his first year of arbitration.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Glad to see Ensberg get re-signed by the Astros. He has been their whipping boy for years IMO. He just quietly produces every year and he deserves it!! Good Job Astros and Congrats Morgan!!!

I like the Everett and Lane signings as well!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The Astros are talking to free-agent right-hander Steve Trachsel, but no deal is close.
    "It's not hot and heavy; we're still kind of flirting with it," Astros GM Tim Purpura told FOXSports.com. "We're up against our payroll number. We're sitting right in the mid-90s." As mediocre as the Astros' alternatives are at the bottom of the rotation, bringing in Trachsel would make a lot of sense. Jason Hirsh and Taylor Buchholz are gone, and Fernando Nieve, who might otherwise be the top candidate for the fourth spot in the rotation, is a question mark because of his elbow. The Nationals are the only team known to have made an offer to Trachsel. The Mets don't want him back, and Trachsel's agent wasn't able to interest the Twins in his services.
    Better than nothing!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Certainly is. The Astros rotation is not looking too good in a division with guys like Pujols and Soriano. Not saying Trachsel would solve their problems but this is a guy who's won 15 games and can provide you with some innings and quietly put up solid starts. Worth the gamble.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I needs to go to a team like the Astros who should have a good offense to give him some run support. I am a little surprised that the Mets are not trying to re-sign him. They have not had a ton of luck in the off-season signing FA pitchers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast