Thread: Astros sign veteran Hildago

Rookie ERA

Astros sign veteran Hildago

The Houston Astros signed Richard Hildago to a minor league contract. Richard had his best season as a major leaguer in 2000 when he hit .314 with 44 home runs and 122 RBI in 153 games.

He was annointed by your truely as a player that had arrived. So much for my being a good talent scout.

Hildago had a solid year in 2003 when he hit .309 with 28 home runs and 88 RBI's. After his production decreased because of injuries, he was traded to the Mets and later signed with the Rangers where he only hit .221. He was out of baseball last year.

This year he has been playing in a Venuzuelan League where in 54 games, he has hit .273 with 9 home runs and 27 RBI and he has led the team in a number of catagories.

GM Tim Pupura seems very excited about his signing. "His arm strength is back, his running is back, he's driving the ball," Purpura said. "Over the weekend, he hit a rocket shot for a home run that went 400 feet, and it was a line drive.

"His bat speed's back, his power is back. He's using the whole field and not pulling the ball."

Hildago was signed for $850,000 with incentives that could earn him $2.5 million.

I feel this is great pick up with very little to lose and who knows....they may find a diamond in the rough.......again.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He might have been one of the greatest one-hit wonders ever, next to Brady Anderson's 50 homer season.

What about Luis Gonzalez' 50 HR season?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Are the Astros hoping for a resurrection/second coming in Hidalgo??? I guess for a minor league contract it could pan out to be a HUGE steal!!

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    Are the Astros hoping for a resurrection/second coming in Hidalgo??? I guess for a minor league contract it could pan out to be a HUGE steal!!
    They really can't lose in this move.

If he makes it back, imagine him hitting after Berkman and Lee.

I have always loved his gun for an arm.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

good luck to him and the Astros. I like it when teams find that what-if player(s), a diamond in the rough if you will!